Too Late for Repot...?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well I took a somewhat combined advice approach of semi-bare root, cut off 1.5” of bottom roots and back into same pot with APL mix.

The roots were very dense but not root bound in the pot, if that makes sense, and yes there was a large percentage of pine back/chips in it. Maybe root mass like this is typical for larger maples? After chop sticking, root raking and garden hose washIng for what felt like forever I seemed to be removing more roots than loosening so I called it quits and decided to roll the dice for this season. The exterior 1” or so of the root ball is loose but the central mass of it, while able to absorb water, just wouldn’t give up any soil remaining. There ended up being a good 1.5” of root to pot clearance for root growth. Hopefully it survives to next year for another go at the roots. Maybe lopping off another inch or two off the bottom next year will slowly reduce the height of the root ball without harming the tree.
View attachment 484473View attachment 484474View attachment 484475View attachment 484476View attachment 484477

I was able to expose a bit more nebari and there might be a bit more flare down there I will also go after during subsequent work.

Now I can sit with fingers crossed on improving the trees health and stare at it planning where to take it structurally over the next few years.

Thanks for everyone’s input and advice.
-Ian
That's a nice rootball! I doubt you'll have anything to worry about.

It's interesting that there where no circling roots and it doesn't look like any thick roots, which is surprising with the size of the trunk, in comparison to the root ball size. That's not typical of landscape nursery grown stock, in my experience.

Anyways, once again, that's an amazing find and I look forward to seeing what you do with it. Keep us posted.

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
Hopefully it survives to next year for another go at the roots. Maybe lopping off another inch or two off the bottom next year will slowly reduce the height of the root ball without harming the tree.

The base of the trunk/nebari looks very nice 👍
IMO you can cut here next spring (as your tree will produce a lot of new surface roots untill next year if you water & fertilize correctly) ->
______DSCN04192.jpg

Damage Inc

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It's interesting that there where no circling roots and it doesn't look like any thick roots, which is surprising with the size of the trunk, in comparison to the root ball size.
Yes, I found this odd also. The largest diameter root I exposed was on the bottom, dead center after removing the 1 1/2" bottom layer. It might have been 1/4" - 3/16" dia. everything else was just as the pics show. Roots circled one side for about 270 deg but the other 1/4 of the pot has little to none.

Who knows what this tree has endured with all the broken branches and dead sections but I wouldn't be surprised if has been dropped and or throw from it's container a few times and then just thrown back into a pot all willy nilly.

Naming the tree will likely jinx it's demise but I'm thinking of calling it Akebono Tarō.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akebono_Tarō
Akebono.jpg

Damage Inc

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@clem Thanks and good call on next phase for root work. I will be babying this tree for the next while in hopes it survives and thrives.

Baku1875

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I'm curious as to why it was struggling. Perhaps late spring cold shock? or some kind of parasite?

Keep your eyes open for any bugs and consider a gentle soap concentration to proactively protect the new growth if you identify any bugs.

It could have simply been a case of poor water/oxygen balance. A trend I have noticed with nursery material is that they pot it in spongy high water retention soil so that it is lower maintenance until they sell it (once a week watering or none if there is rainfall). The consequence is that if there's too much rain for a few weeks....plant no happy anymore.

Part of my nursery material addiction is the satisfaction when partially bare rooting a stagnant tree and slip potting it with some inorganic mix, watching it grow in turbo mode

Last edited:

Damage Inc

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm curious as to why it was struggling. Perhaps late spring cold shock? or some kind of parasite?

I've seen aphids and spider mites do major damage, chewing up all of the fresh buds and draining the strength of trees, and doing so stealthily enough that I didnt notice it until damage was already well underway.. I made my first successful sour lemon tree air layer last august and it was stagnant for weeks, on closer inspection some bugs were eating the fresh buds over and over. Daily (lite concentration)neem and castile soap sprayings for 3 weeks in a row and it finally founds its legs.

Keep your eyes open for any bugs and consider a gentle soap concentration to proactively protect the new growth if you spot any parasites.
Will definitely give it another once over looking for parasites and a preventative spray once it settles in. We did have a overnight cold snap of just at freezing temperatures a couple, 3 weeks ago but I think the majority of this tree's issues are from physical abuse and structural damage. I had to do the tree shuffle for a few trees that had budded and leafed out early. Our yearly temperature/weather in the greater Vancouver BC area is quite similar to Seattle WA where we may see short term winter lows at -10C (14F) for short periods and summer highs of +30C (86F).

LeatherTree23

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Well I took a somewhat combined advice approach of semi-bare root, cut off 1.5” of bottom roots and back into same pot with APL mix.

The roots were very dense but not root bound in the pot, if that makes sense, and yes there was a large percentage of pine back/chips in it. Maybe root mass like this is typical for larger maples? After chop sticking, root raking and garden hose washIng for what felt like forever I seemed to be removing more roots than loosening so I called it quits and decided to roll the dice for this season. The exterior 1” or so of the root ball is loose but the central mass of it, while able to absorb water, just wouldn’t give up any soil remaining. There ended up being a good 1.5” of root to pot clearance for root growth. Hopefully it survives to next year for another go at the roots. Maybe lopping off another inch or two off the bottom next year will slowly reduce the height of the root ball without harming the tree.
View attachment 484473View attachment 484474View attachment 484475View attachment 484476View attachment 484477

I was able to expose a bit more nebari and there might be a bit more flare down there I will also go after during subsequent work.

Now I can sit with fingers crossed on improving the trees health and stare at it planning where to take it structurally over the next few years.

Thanks for everyone’s input and advice.
-Ian
Tree envy is a terrible affliction. And I’ve got it. This tree is legit awesome at the base.

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Tree envy is a terrible affliction. And I’ve got it. This tree is legit awesome at the base.
For real, I’ve never seen a deal like this before around my neck of the woods. $15? I’d say for the base alone that’s a complete steal. Interested to see how this progresses!

Damage Inc

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thank you. although with my bench being full of "stick-in-a-pot" pre-bonsais and this tree being the only exception I am still envious of 100% of the trees others post here on BNut.

LeatherTree23

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thank you. although with my bench being full of "stick-in-a-pot" pre-bonsais and this tree being the only exception I am still envious of 100% of the trees others post here on BNut.
I hear you. In the same boat. Sticks in pots or things to grow out for 5-10 growing seasons. And 2 air layers I’ve (most likely) done quite poorly. So I content myself to drooling over others! Cheers!

Relic37

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yes, I found this odd also. The largest diameter root I exposed was on the bottom, dead center after removing the 1 1/2" bottom layer. It might have been 1/4" - 3/16" dia. everything else was just as the pics show. Roots circled one side for about 270 deg but the other 1/4 of the pot has little to none.

Who knows what this tree has endured with all the broken branches and dead sections but I wouldn't be surprised if has been dropped and or throw from it's container a few times and then just thrown back into a pot all willy nilly.

Naming the tree will likely jinx it's demise but I'm thinking of calling it Akebono Tarō.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akebono_Tarō
View attachment 484510
That photo reminds me of my late Aunt when the Krispy Kreme "HOT" light was lit up...

Damage Inc

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So Akebono is leafing out. Anyone know what cultivar of Acer Palmatum I am looking at? So far leaves are medium to small sized. Max 1.5 to 1.75" across.
Maple 6.jpg
Maple 7.jpg
This pic also has Daisy our 3 year old Frenchton. LOL.

Top Bottom