Too late now but

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Put a couple trees in the ground today, took out of their pots first- two of them just disintegrated. Is there a trick to getting them out intact? Plant ten in the pot?
Just curious, maybe I'll do better next year

Brent

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
What do you mean disintegrated? Soil fell apart? If so, how much? When planting landscape plants that happens and usually isn't a death sentence. Some plants, large and small, are even bare rooted in the landscape. Look up videos of using air spades to bare root larger trees for transplanting. They should be in early stages of dormancy so I reckon you'll be ok. Mulching for winter would be a good idea, though not necessary. If they are evergreen, some hollytone or similar fertilizer would be beneficial.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
To avoid this next time cut the pot. I'm assuming they were in plastic nursery buckets.
I use what's called a zipper knife to cut them. It's a hunting knife with a sharp hook on the top of the blade for skinning game. Stick it in a hole along the bottom and pull up.
Have your hole ready with whatever soil you're planning on putting in for back fill. After the tree is in and planted,water copiously. Not just at the roots but further out too.

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What do you mean disintegrated? Soil fell apart? If so, how much? When planting landscape plants that happens and usually isn't a death sentence. Some plants, large and small, are even bare rooted in the landscape. Look up videos of using air spades to bare root larger trees for transplanting. They should be in early stages of dormancy so I reckon you'll be ok. Mulching for winter would be a good idea, though not n
What do you mean disintegrated? Soil fell apart? If so, how much? When planting landscape plants that happens and usually isn't a death sentence. Some plants, large and small, are even bare rooted in the landscape. Look up videos of using air spades to bare root larger trees for transplanting. They should be in early stages of dormancy so I reckon you'll be ok. Mulching for winter would be a good idea, though not necessary. If they are evergreen, some hollytone or similar fertilizer would be beneficial.
The will mix was very sandy, was but able to keep it together. Not quite bare, but I'd hoped for better. Clay pots, considered planting those also...
Is that done?
Mulched and tucked in for the winter, hopefully all good come spring.

B

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The will mix was very sandy, was but able to keep it together. Not quite bare, but I'd hoped for better. Clay pots, considered planting those also...
Is that done?
Mulched and tucked in for the winter, hopefully all good come spring.

B
Dude.
You live in zone 4.
You should not be doing anything to the roots of trees in the fall.
If you dont have a place to keep them from freezing solid you're screwed.
These people from zones 6 and higher might be able to get away with such things but we people in this zone dont have that luxury.
Like the guy in the post above.
Hes from zone 7.
What does he know about real winter?
The latest I do root work of any kind.
That includes slip pots and transplants is the second week in August.
After that it's a crap shoot if a tree survives.
Especially if roots have been disturbed at all.
Essentially bare rooting a tree even though the dirt fell off by accident is a major insult so late in the year.
I wouldn't hold my breath for survival.
But since the deed is done good luck.

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had to go back and verify; I'm zone 6 here.i agree that I definitely insulted the roots, only intended to slip into ground and mulch. My hinoki was fine last year with this plan, but it went like I envisioned...
I suspect 50/50 this year.....
B

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I had to go back and verify; I'm zone 6 here.i agree that I definitely insulted the roots, only intended to slip into ground and mulch. My hinoki was fine last year with this plan, but it went like I envisioned...
I suspect 50/50 this year.....
B
again. You will be fine. You’re essentially putting landscape trees into the ground to later become bonsai and to me it is an insult to NOT tease the roots. Furthermore you don’t bareroot non bonsai trees during the growing season; it’s always done when they are in dormancy and best time to do that is late fall when soil is still workable. I can’t tell you how many dead trees I’ve removed and diagnosed as swirling and girdling roots from not teasing the roots out as the cause. I’m not sure where this notion of putting plants in the ground in the fall the same way you would do it in spring and summer is a death sentence comes from. In fact I would be much more worried about the trees survival in the summer heat and this happened.

Maybe much of this changes when we are talking about bonsai material, but your post is in regards to a nursery plant that you plan on making bonsai.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Six Schmix...
We been froze solid for 3 weeks or more!

Sorce

Top Bottom