Too late to air layer?

Paul G

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I spotted a gorgeous 5 ft Acer P. for a reasonable price yesterday. I'll probably get it either way, and I plan to layer it into several trees. Am I waiting until next March/April, or is it not too late in the season? Michigan is still in the 40s at night. Apologies for not having a picture:)

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I start my layers when the first flush hardens. It may still be a little early for you.

Paul G

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And what about sphagnum? I can get the dry peat, but I haven’t seen the live stuff Peter Chan uses around here. Any Michigan folks that can point me in the right direction?

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You can do an air layer without sphagnum. Bonsai soil mix works too.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
So, I've started layers on A. palmatums before bud break, after the spring flush has hardened, and in late summer... https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/air-layer-in-late-summer.24510/... all layers were successful, though the ones started earlier in the year obviously had more roots by the end of the growing season. Bottom line is that there's a large window for layering, from late winter to late summer, though local climate will likely determine the ideal time.

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
And what about sphagnum? I can get the dry peat, but I haven’t seen the live stuff Peter Chan uses around here. Any Michigan folks that can point me in the right direction?
I've used peat successfully, soak it overnight, wrap it up and never have to worry about watering it

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
So, I've started layers on A. palmatums- 1) before bud break, 2) after the spring flush has hardened off, and 3) in late summer... https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/air-layer-in-late-summer.24510/... all layers were successful, though the ones started earlier in the year obviously had more roots by the end of the growing season. Bottom line is that there's a large window for layering, from late winter to late summer, though local climate will likely determine the ideal time.
Somebody is looking for the personalised nickname! Hahaha with 100 to go... only 25 more 4x.

But yeah, Dave is right. Large windows, but depends on your climate

Paul G

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, I picked it up. Eventually I’ll try a layer down low above the graft, but to start I’ll try two or three from the upper third. How many is too many?D57B6F3F-26C8-4061-B2CD-A51DE247D81B.jpeg

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
As many as you can care for is what I'd say but shoot for quality material or you'll end up with some material like some of mine, it's "nice junk".

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

Amazon, New Zealand, soak it, works well. (GR)

Top Bottom