Too late to collect?

onlyrey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Not sure exactly what species it is, but I watched it over the weekend, and I will finally have time to collect it this weekend. It put out those leaves this week. Is it too late to collect? (I'm is Columbia-SC).
image.jpeg

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Based on what I've read, depending on species, the chances of successful collection after leaves have pushed is greatly reduced. If you think it's worth collecting, I'd try to figure out exactly what it is now and maybe attempt a collection next fall/winter.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Knowing what you're digging is kiiiinda important. For instance, if this is a privet, I'd go ahead and saw out of the ground, lop off everything above that odd bend at the bottom, bare root it and plunk it in a container with bonsai soil.

If it's a hawthorne, I'd wait another year until earlier in the spring...

A close up of the leaves would help with the ID

Last edited:

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Could be sparkleberry... Never successfully collected one. Very hard to id from current photo.

I find that if I'm collecting and chopping timing is less important... No chop and the timing needs to be right

Last edited:

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
yea probably not ideal right now since its leafed out. I would trench a full circle or maybe a half circle and see if you got a tap root.... prune it a bit, throw down some granular ferts and put it on the list for next year. Make a note to capture it before late march, next year.

onlyrey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thank you very much for the responses guys. Here are theee pics of the leaves (kind of out of focus). I tried to capture a couple of last year's fall colored leaves that managed to stay.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It would be a lot easier to tell with pics that are focused ;-)

onlyrey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Sty, took those on a hurry on the way out of town. Will take som more this coming Sunday.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you very much for the responses guys. Here are theee pics of the leaves (kind of out of focus). I tried to capture a couple of last year's fall colored leaves that managed to stay.
Almost certainly a sparkleberry, Vaccinium arboreum. Too late to collect, in my opinion. Wait for next winter.

Zach

onlyrey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Ok, here they are. Almost certain I'll wait till next year. The leaves are new, but took an in-focus pic with last year's leaves.
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Top Bottom