Too late to cut hornbeam?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Been staring at this hornbeam and I know I want to weaken this branch near the top that’s overgrown - my plan had essentially been to set the initial structure then cut back after it hardens off, under the impression that this will encourage a more vigorous second flush.

Now, I’m wondering if letting it fully extend is a good idea - it’s already pretty thick comparatively up top, and it throws the proportions out of whack at the top. Debating cutting it near where the bottom of my fingers are and letting those buds grow out to replace it.

What do you all think?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think one can cut back to a visible bud pretty much with impunity.

The fewer buds, the lower is auxin production = weaker root growth, less thickening of stems
The fewer buds, the less foliage = less energy, less material with which to build more tree.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think cutting it now is fine. But I can't really tell from the picture how that affects the final product. I just did a hard cut on one of mine last week.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I think cutting it now is fine. But I can't really tell from the picture how that affects the final product. I just did a hard cut on one of mine last week.

It’s basically a honker of a long branch coming off near the apex which throws the profile off big time. I might leave it for now since it was just repotted, Judy mentioned these grow slowly so it may not be urgent to do it now

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It’s basically a honker of a long branch coming off near the apex which throws the profile off big time. I might leave it for now since it was just repotted, Judy mentioned these grow slowly so it may not be urgent to do it now
What kind of hornbeam is it?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't think they are all that slow growing. I prune mine a couple times a year. I have a Japanese Hornbeam as well and it seems to grow a bit faster.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Ok thanks - maybe I’ll snip it now then, it definitely needs to go.

Top Bottom