Too Late To Harvest an Elm?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I ran across a small elm growing where cattle have kept it trimmed back somewhat. Not certain what kind of elm but it could be a Slippery Elm from what I could see of the remaining leaves. It stands about 4' tall but could be cut back to 2 1/2' and look very good in a pot. The area it is in will be "grubbed" up in the near future. It is right on the edge of that area and may or may not be disturbed or removed.

There are a few leaves left all turning yellow.

Is it too late this year to harvest a tree like that? If I dug it would it be growing roots over the winter.

I am in central NC and sometimes we have mild winters here but no prediction what this winter will bring.

I can take the chance on leaving it until next spring or going back and finding it has been grubbed up along with the rest of the area.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
REalistically, if the area is in imminent (like the bulldozers are there) danger, I'd dig it now and take my chances.

If, however, the threat is only a vague "might," I'd leave it until the spring.

If you dig it now, you will have to find a frost free storage place for it--and the basement probably won't work --too warm.

The biggest problem with collecting now is the tree will not move to heal the damage for months--it will not grow roots during the winter. It will remain dormant, until it has fulfilled its dormancy requirements. That means cut roots have a very long time to begin rotting. You will have to monitor watering VERY closely to make sure it doesn't stay wet (which is a pain in the cold) Freezes could kill off already weakened roots too.

Waiting is preferable.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It is on a old cattle fence line, the fence is there but posts rotting down. The area that is going to be grubbed up, as I was told is the area beside the fence line. The grubbing job will be a the control of some ethnic driving the grubbing equipment. So, if he stays a few feet from the fence the tree is safe, if he looses concentration when passing along the fence by the tree the tree might get whacked.

I'll wait.

Top Bottom