Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
someone had posted a schedule for mume that included reporting every year to change soil. So that was the plan.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
someone had posted a schedule for mume that included reporting every year to change soil. So that was the plan.
This is probably what you're referring to - great resource for mume:

https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/prunus-mume.6707/page-19#post-799222 (post 369)

Best time is after last frost, but before bud break. Your window is probably short in Northeast.

Appears you're a bit late. I err on cautious side for material I'm keen on keeping.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Based on what I see, and the late timing I would not repot unless it is necessary!
Once the root ball is well established Mume are more forgiving but initially when transitioning from thicker roots and older soil it pays to be careful.
I expect the schedule applies to well maintained trees in routine care!
If you are well trained, experienced with mume and have facilities for aftercare that opens other possibilities. However, why take a chance if the tree is doing well and the current state appears to reflect that.
In your climate, like mine I would repot early and protect from frost, rather than wait until risk of frost is past. Likely never make that window with Mume.

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Good advice. I’ll hold off for this season. The root ball lifts out with all the soil in tact but I wouldn’t say it’s completely root bound as it was all finer feeder roots.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I would repot it as mume from what I have read like new soil yearly. The window is right after flowering. I am still waiting for all my flowers to fall of of mine so I can repot it but it’s not a mume it’s a prunus incisa. I do have a mume I just reported three weeks ago and it’s starting to give off little stems and leaves. The trees are a lot harder than most people think.
But I would ask more experienced bonsai keeps.
Michael

Top Bottom