Too late to repot this old crab apple?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I would have no problem repotting any deciduous bonsai even with leaves just emerging like this.
I have not tried fall repotting for deciduous but I know there are a number of experienced growers doing fall (late summer?) repotting now.

dacoontz

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Tree has been in the pot for several years. I just purchased it a couple months ago. It bore plenty of fruit last year but think it needs some more space to see if it can regain some vigor.

ragenmoan

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I've had no problems repotting deciduous trees having budded out already. If you want to be safe, don't be to aggressive pruning roots. Just my opinion, the current pot seems too wide (and maybe too shallow?) I think there is still time root trim and put into a lees wide deeper pot. Also need to get rid of all that moss and penny wort off the soil and away from the tree to prevent trunk rot.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Here’s a pic of the soil. Feels fairly compacted.

I agree with the general consensus here that a repot at this time should be fine. Just watch if you get some freakish late winter cold front and provide it with protection if needed.

Also I agree the soil looks pretty compacted. Liverworts on the surface of the soil usually indicate time to repot.

dacoontz

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Cool, I’ll get to it. I’ll post a new pic when repotted. Any opinions on pot color? I was going to find something a bit more feminine, maybe round with some feminine feet.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
The stage of growth would not stop me if I thought it needed to be repotted. Its not entirely clear from the photos but it looks like the bottom branch is dead and it may have scale insects.

ragenmoan

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Cool, I’ll get to it. I’ll post a new pic when repotted. Any opinions on pot color? I was going to find something a bit more feminine, maybe round with some feminine feet.

Thanks again.
What color where the flowers and fruit?

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Be aware late hard freeze very possible which will kill. Is protection possible:confused:?

Top Bottom