Too late to save redbud?

FiggieSmalls

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I was just walking outside at work and found an uprooted redbud. Looks like ir might have sat there for a day or so, not an abundance of roots but the leaves look healthy still. Any thoughts--does this tree have any hope for survival or is it a lost cause? Will upload pics shortly. I'm mostly concerned about the time of year though. Not ideal for a transplant right

FiggieSmalls

Yamadori
Reaction score
Alrighty... pics as promised

Attachments

• 20220922_140855.jpg
    20220922_140855.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 20220922_140836.jpg
    20220922_140836.jpg
    443.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 20220922_140828.jpg
    20220922_140828.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 26

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My experience with Redbuds has been that once the roots air dry they are gone for good. I don’t pay to much attention to them though as they grow like weeds around me. An abundance of seeds are naturally scattered every autumn. My opinion for what you collected: Plant the tree in the ground and in the spring see if something happens. In the spring there could possibly be some growth. It may or may not last after that growth surge though. Plant it in the ground…there’s nothing to lose outside of some light planting labor.

FiggieSmalls

Yamadori
Reaction score
My experience with Redbuds has been that once the roots air dry they are gone for good. I don’t pay to much attention to them though as they grow like weeds around me. An abundance of seeds are naturally scattered every autumn. My opinion for what you collected: Plant the tree in the ground and in the spring see if something happens. In the spring there could possibly be some growth. It may or may not last after that growth surge though. Plant it in the ground…there’s nothing to lose outside of some light planting labor.
Fair enough, only problem is I don't really have a place to plant because I'm living in an apartment currently... but, my girlfriend does have a home/yard so maybe I can give it to her to plant. But I'll have to pot it up for the timebeing in order to keep it viable anyway... lol.

Any tips that might improve survival rate? Maybe it will help the tree if I defoliate it completely?

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Fair enough, only problem is I don't really have a place to plant because I'm living in an apartment currently... but, my girlfriend does have a home/yard so maybe I can give it to her to plant. But I'll have to pot it up for the timebeing in order to keep it viable anyway... lol.

Any tips that might improve survival rate? Maybe it will help the tree if I defoliate it completely?
I would just let the leaves stay on as long as nature determines. The leaf stalks provide a form of protection for the buds formed where the leaf would break away. The tree is not going regrow now…..but, hey, I’m assuming you have an autumn and winter temperatures ahead. I don’t really know your weather…I think you do get some snow. Maybe not much though.

What would I do if I were in your shoes. I’d put a lightweight paper bag (light like lunch bags I remember) in the plastic pot and then plant the tree in soil in the bag for now before the girlfriend planting. The plastic pot would give stability right now. If you have winter, well even if you don’t too, just pull the bag out when you want to put it in the ground. Plant the bag fully. It will deteriorate in the ground and help keep moisture when first planted. The ground will provide earth's regular warmth for roots and, if you have winter, which I think you do, let it get covered in snow. The snow will insulate the planted tree against harsh drying winds. Ice can form on the tree…that’s fine. Have fun.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
You are in Saint Louis, you have about 2 or 3 more weeks of "summer" then weather should cool. You can plant your redbuds as recommended above, it will work. Or you can pot them up and then bury the pots in the back yard. But either way, redbud is a tree that needs a cold winter rest, so it needs to be outside all winter.

Right now is not the best time of year to get into bonsai if you are new to bonsai. Trees that normally live outdoors, when made into bonsai will need to continue to be grown outdoors. If you want to start with bonsai indoors I recommend trees that work better as houseplants, such as Ficus. There are many types of Ficus, all are good but I like Ficus retusa, and the willow leaf Ficus.

My parents and sister live in Saint Louis, one good place to visit is the Saint Louis Botanical Garden. The local bonsai club -Bonsai Society of Greater Saint Louis meets at the Commerce Bank Education Center (CBEC) of the Missouri Botanical Garden. CBEC is located at the corner of Shaw and Kingshighway. The next meeting is Saturday, Oct 22 at noon.

The BSGSL is having a workshop Oct 7, at 4 pm at Timberwinds Nursery in Ellisville. You do have to contact the club before attending the workshop, info is on their website.

FiggieSmalls

Yamadori
Reaction score
You are in Saint Louis, you have about 2 or 3 more weeks of "summer" then weather should cool. You can plant your redbuds as recommended above, it will work. Or you can pot them up and then bury the pots in the back yard. But either way, redbud is a tree that needs a cold winter rest, so it needs to be outside all winter.

Right now is not the best time of year to get into bonsai if you are new to bonsai. Trees that normally live outdoors, when made into bonsai will need to continue to be grown outdoors. If you want to start with bonsai indoors I recommend trees that work better as houseplants, such as Ficus. There are many types of Ficus, all are good but I like Ficus retusa, and the willow leaf Ficus.

My parents and sister live in Saint Louis, one good place to visit is the Saint Louis Botanical Garden. The local bonsai club -Bonsai Society of Greater Saint Louis meets at the Commerce Bank Education Center (CBEC) of the Missouri Botanical Garden. CBEC is located at the corner of Shaw and Kingshighway. The next meeting is Saturday, Oct 22 at noon.

The BSGSL is having a workshop Oct 7, at 4 pm at Timberwinds Nursery in Ellisville. You do have to contact the club before attending the workshop, info is on their website.

Thank you! I do love the botanical garden 😊. And will look into the bonsai club!

Top Bottom