Too later to initial style a Juniper? (Zone 7a)

Reaction score
I picked up this end of year piece and did some clean up but it is so root bound and deep potted that it's bottom 2 branches have their own roots.
I'm not even able to find the based without needing to remove root mass.
At this time of year can I remove some of these top roots to get to the base and maybe remove a third of the mass or am I done for the season?

IMG_0338.jpgIMG_0335.jpg

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I've done things like that. It has always turned out OK. But that doesn't mean I think it's a good idea.

It doesn't look root bound in the sense that its growth is weak. And during winter it's not going to grow a whole lot more.
So yeah, if your hands are itchy and this juniper didn't cost you a fortune.. It's always a nice lesson to give it a shot.

Reaction score
I've done things like that. It has always turned out OK. But that doesn't mean I think it's a good idea.

It doesn't look root bound in the sense that its growth is weak. And during winter it's not going to grow a whole lot more.
So yeah, if your hands are itchy and this juniper didn't cost you a fortune.. It's always a nice lesson to give it a shot.
hand definitely itchy on this one. I'll give it a go. It cost $15

Reaction score
Maybe I did too much...

Still, the three lowest branches had all rooted (I removed and set them aside into another pot to see if they live). Almost 2 inches of trunk was buried but now that I can see it more I'm wondering what others would do with this piece?

It needs a season to recover and I expect I'll likely get die back but does its shape let itself to any particular style or approach? (The trunk is just under 6" in diameter at the base for reference).

Any thoughts from Juniper lovers welcome!!

Attachments

• 2022 Juniper bend 1.jpg
    2022 Juniper bend 1.jpg
    430.5 KB · Views: 140
  • 2022 Juniper bend 2.jpg
    2022 Juniper bend 2.jpg
    378.1 KB · Views: 141

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Is the base totally covered in the pics? It doesn't look 6" at the soil line, but if it flares to 6" just below then that changes the perspective of design. Rotate it every few weeks to find different possible fronts and planting angles. Could tilt the whole thing left and make the top of the trunk vertical.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ok this may have "only cost you $15", but this tree is well worth taking time with.

The trunk has really nice movement and it looks like it's scale foliage. It could develop into a really nice tree.

What variety of juniper is it?

Reaction score
Is the base totally covered in the pics? It doesn't look 6" at the soil line, but if it flares to 6" just below then that changes the perspective of design. Rotate it every few weeks to find different possible fronts and planting angles. Could tilt the whole thing left and make the top of the trunk vertical.
I measured it at the base and it was 5 3/4" (it's the biggest trunk I've ever seen from a 3 gallon pot). I like the tilting idea and since a have a season or two of feeding and recovery I'll keep staring at it during watering and my morning zen time. May be several years before I show it's initial styling.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think you measured circumference and not diameter. A beer can is about 2.5 inches dia and almost 8 in circumference. 6 in circ is just under 2in. dia

Regardless it looks like a nice project. Enjoy it!

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My notes say Nana
What notes are you referring to. I assume you are referring to procumbens, however
nana means smaller or dwarf, not a particular juniper.
I think it's a Sargents or Parsons, except Sargents doesn't have this red bark on the outside, but this is closely related.
I've never seen Procumbens with berries like that.
Sargents juniper is pretty coarse, and not very pinch friendly except for new growth.
They can also display both this juvenile and adult foliage much like you have, that never seems to go away really.

Aside from late Fall work like this, it should not need much Winter protection.
Great candidate for an Anderson flat to grow out.

1668724975223.png
Here is a Procumbens nana side by side with a Sargents juniper last October.

1668725169550.png 1668725405410.png
This is the same Sargents juniper 4 years ago.
The 1st branch died and the apex has been wired since.
It is as far as I know, the most cold hardy tree in my collection.
I have left it on the ground facing the wind all Winter.
It's like a Timex. It will take a lick, and keep on ticking.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Holy crap you're right. SORRY! It is circumference
Bah humbug.
Six inch trunk🥳🤩. Woo Hoo! Great seeing NON stick in pot for a change. Rock & Roll😁.
Retract hopeful post for stick in pot😖. Needs many years to grow 6" trunk. THEN we celebrate:rolleyes:. Best advice: Grow many years in ground.

Top Bottom