Too Little Ficus...

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have 18 trees now. I have 8 good ones.
5 of those are from Schley's. My newest is from Suthin. Will be shipped on Monday.
It will be one of my top 2 trees. Excited like you to get a new tree in my hands. ?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have 18 trees now. I have 8 good ones.
5 of those are from Schley's. My newest is from Suthin. Will be shipped on Monday.
It will be one of my top 2 trees. Excited like you to get a new tree in my hands. ?
Congrats on a Suthin tree! Make sure to share with us when it arrives. I've two from Schley's...I remember the quirky cascade you got from him. As for me...I honestly don't have a tree itch...this one here...was a boredom purchase. I kind of like this front...
image.jpg

But feel second contender...it's like a clump growing out on top. I need to decide do I continue that route. Or...pick and chose and develop some structure with a sound apex.
image.jpg

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yes this one will be a challenge to style but you are up for it I'm sure.
Wiring may be tricky because branches may be brittle. It has a great base though. Can't wait to see the direction it's headed.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yes this one will be a challenge to style but you are up for it I'm sure.
Wiring may be tricky because branches may be brittle. It has a great base though. Can't wait to see the direction it's headed.

I have no fear...of once its acclimated to cut back hard if need be. But, then I think...maybe I need to let it just chill...until spring next year. To just learn the species.

I have two trees I no longer call mine. The procumbens are gone after my son's graduation party. So the one who gave it to me can see her brother in laws trees thriving in my care. Then pass to another to tend. My shimpaku...losing it to having its pot upturned by a bird making a nest next to the tree beside it and roots exposed to afternoon sun for sometime, so I have room on my bench for this one...and possibly another. Going to stay away from conifers. Needle blight and all that seems a specialty to treat and timing...to deal with needles. Thinning them for health...I do have more of an appreciation to those who do. 16 trees I consider my collection 17 with this ficus. Minus the ones I plan on giving away. And...not including projects. Yes, I am up for the challenge of this ficus. Just to make it "more". Studying the species...seeing which appeals to me in a direction. But am up to ones idea of a direction to chew over.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Dang, I knew these leaves were toted to be small. Though never seeing a regular benjamina ficus leaf. I can't state how much of a size difrence. But this is definitely a quirky tree. It will take some time to decide on a front. Because I am just undecided.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
image.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Scott mentioned penjing...that said. I can envision this a stream/creek bed. Maybe it's just my eye...
20180802_103641.jpg
I see it...Like a rock formation instead of trunk...stream running between formation...trees growing up top. Maybe I am twisted and need help.
20180802_103616.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Okay...this is what I came up with...@amcoffeegirl needs some branch selection up top. But really need to decide what I plan on doing with it.
20180802_110715.jpg

Last edited:

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You have all the time in the world to decide.
Get to know the tree a little. It will come to you.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I don't know why but something on this angle spoke to me.

Attachments

• IMG_8778.PNG
    IMG_8778.PNG
    167.6 KB · Views: 17

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I don't know why but something on this angle spoke to me.
I like that as a front...but the tree needs to develop more. The branching up top does not allow for a natural looking canopy. I do prefer that as a front though. Just looks like a Mohawk up front. the way it is...it will most likely be turned. This has always been my preferred trunk line. But was questioning if tree was telling me something else...with branch placement. But that can all be redesigned. I know this...you make a valid point on trunk line front. @amcoffeegirl
image.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
i agree with Darlene as far as front, but I think grafting some branches down low, and thinking out the top, could really kick this tree up into a higher class.
These cuttings root well in water btw, if you want some more trees to play with.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
i agree with Darlene as far as front, but I think grafting some branches down low, and thinking out the top, could really kick this tree up into a higher class.
These cuttings root well in water btw, if you want some more trees to play with.
I agree...it needs thinned out. Also was wanting a difinative front before thinning. I want to get a feel for the species before I really work on it. Thanks for the vote for the front.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
What a fun tree though- with a full canopy you really could display it from multiple views.
Not a lot of trees have that option.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I did thin out the top a bit. My friend said... "It's a ficus thin away. It will not skio a beat even just arriving at your door." (Florida gal) So I thinned...and could see more direction in doing so. I doubt I will graft anything low. Because I do have that quirky loop. I wish to grow all the branches on top of the loop of the tree. As is the example I shared earlier. But appreciate the guidance you offered...as also extending it to @amcoffeegirl for getting me refocused on the best front.
Thinned...
20180803_073533.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Learned this tidbit which is worth sharing. So tweaked that first branch.

Get the tip of that first branch pointing up a little more. It’s my experience that the too little doesn’t like branching below horizontal level.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Was commenting to Denise/amcoffeegirl that my ficus isn't really dropping any leaves. Two...which could have been from bumping about in shipping.

But she gave me a tidbit worth posting for a cross reference if I come across it.

TIDBIT:If it drops all it's leaves just put it somewhere warm and sunny- not direct sun just bright light. When that happens I keep the soil a little dry also.

Top Bottom