Too Little Ficus...

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Question on how cold hardy:

Benjimena ficus which what the Too Little is. Seeing not to let it get down below 60's / 15C ...is this true? Seen elsewhere they can get to 50 F/10C with no issues elsewhere. Reason I am asking...temps last night was 57F/13.8C outside. Pondering if this tree will see the natural sun or directly into the grow cart inside. Would prefer it spend time outdoors...

It can handle a lot colder that, I have left mine out down to 40 degrees, maybe even the upper 30's. Just don't let it freeze. Of coarse, it won't grow any at those temps, but as soon as the day temps are in the upper 60's it starts to push. The only ficus that I have found that does not like the cold is neifloria or whatever they are calling it now.

substratum

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If you have a Trader Joe’s nearby, they currently have Ginsing Ficus “bonsai” trees, some of which look like they’d make great inside trees.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If you have a Trader Joe’s nearby, they currently have Ginsing Ficus “bonsai” trees, some of which look like they’d make great inside trees.
Thanks, but...no, no Trader Joe's. Honestly I don't have room but for just another tropical. I am simply obsessed with a sumo ficus. I want a sumo...and am in the works of locating one. It can be raw stock...as long as the base has character. So I have to be selective.

This sumo is to large for my lower grow cart shelf...since I have this too-little already. But hubba hubba! ?
image.jpg

And this one I found by Mike Pollock is simply scrumptious! The trunk on this is amazing. But there are scars!!! Trust me...it's why I like it. Those scars add character.
image.jpg

Last edited:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This tree is enjoy it's 18 hours of light indoors. It's pushing new growth like no tomorrow. I imagine it will need cut back. Just it being new to me over winter. I hadn't planned on cutting it back...but observe instead. I can raise the lights to a degree...but, am pondering shaping it back up. @amcoffeegirl do you find yourself trimming back your ficus come winter often?
image.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I’ll jump out on a very small limb and say “yes” you need to trim these back often in the indoor winter. I usually trim back to one or two leaves per branch to get it under control and then take off anything that is in the wrong direction or out of place... but there can be some value in letting a few select branches run long to thicken where it needs it and to generate strength. If it is actively growing, it is strong enough to trim.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I’ll jump out on a very small limb and say “yes” you need to trim these back often in the indoor winter. I usually trim back to one or two leaves per branch to get it under control and then take off anything that is in the wrong direction or out of place... but there can be some value in letting a few select branches run long to thicken where it needs it and to generate strength. If it is actively growing, it is strong enough to trim.
Thanks! Good to know...yes, makes sense in allowing ones to run long and thicken if an ideal branch. I am trying to grow out young branches on the right to fill in the canopy. Those aren't near as thick as those others I've selected to be main branches. Might be ideal to work on those thickening...after I make a decision on which to keep. Indoor growing...when my other trees are heading into dormancy. Will be a fun change. Keeping small school with very few that is. I don't have room for several tropical.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This tree is enjoy it's 18 hours of light indoors. It's pushing new growth like no tomorrow. I imagine it will need cut back. Just it being new to me over winter. I hadn't planned on cutting it back...but observe instead. I can raise the lights to a degree...but, am pondering shaping it back up. @amcoffeegirl
View attachment 214710

I do trim if it's growing well- I have learned the hard way no root work in fall or winter.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I do trim if it's growing well- I have learned the hard way no root work in fall or winter.
Oh yeah, I would never consider root work with having the bougainvillea and doing it when night temps outside reach 60F and levels out. But...feel confident to trim now if it continues to grow like mad. Thanks!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I forgot to add in this original thread of this tree. Adam Lavigne's shock at how small this tree was. For he assumed it was a lot larger than what it was. So for that sake...here is a comparison for size. Chunky and small.
Screenshot_20190724-114642.png

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you. It's a Dan Laxdall pot that I had for awhile with no tree for it.
Wow! So this is another USA potter? As an on again off again potter who has only recently become serious about my pottery, I am amazed at all the serious talent there is out there.

Top Bottom