Too Many Trees = an opportunity for you!

johng

Omono
Reaction score
It is time to lighten the load a little. Here is your chance to purchase trees from my private collection.
I continue to strongly resist the urge to create any kind of business out of my hobby. However, the time has come for me to move a few trees so that I can lighten the care load and continue to do the things I like most in bonsai...the creation process and developing material.

I am going to give Bnutters the first opportunity at these trees. I will post here and give you folks a shot first before posting in other venues.

One of the issues is going to be shipping. I don't ship...please don't ask:). What I am willing to do is deliver any tree purchased to the Carolina Bonsai Expo in Asheville this Oct. or to the Winter Silhouette show in Kannapolis in Dec. Of course you are also welcome to come to the garden to ick up any purchase. I might also be willing to drive a reasonable distance to meet someone to deliver trees.

I will be posting the various trees I have for sale in this thread. Please PM me if you would like to purchase. For now, I would encourage general questions to be posted on this thread for the good of all. I would prefer payment via paypal but we can talk about alternatives.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I sit waiting, how far am I from you?

EDIT: just looked it up - may not be able to drive that far!

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Here is the first tree. This is a three tree grouping of collected Winged Elm. This group is on a very nice granite slab that I also collected. This group has been together since Feb, 2011 and is planted in muck.
IMG_4032.JPG

IMG_4034.JPG

The planting is about 33" tall from the table top.
IMG_4039.JPG

Here is a photo from late last winter showing all the ramification...

IMG_2957.jpg

$250

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Next up is a very nice Bald Cypress that was collected in 2012. I started training this tree in 2014 so it is still young in its development process but it has all the right branches in the right places. It is in a large Mica container 21"x5.5" The root spread touches the edge of the container in at least 3 places.
IMG_4010.JPG

IMG_4011.JPG

IMG_4012.JPG

IMG_4013.JPG

Here is the chop...you can see it has begun to heal all the way around but needs to be rewounded in the Spring.
IMG_4016.JPG

I think the branches on this tree are set up better than any I have developed before. As you can see the there is already excellent ramificatin begun close to the trunk. This tree has been wired twice and would benefit from continued wire training this winter.
IMG_4021.JPG

IMG_4020.JPG

52" from the table top...
IMG_4027.JPG

And just for some size perspective
IMG_4030.JPG

$800

johng

Omono
Reaction score
I rarely ever sell any rock plantings but here is an opportunity! This planting was started circa 2002. It is iron stone with 2 shimpaku junipers. This composition has had lots of work over the years including a session with Kathy Shaner.

IMG_3957.JPG

IMG_3959.JPG

IMG_3960.JPG

IMG_3961.JPG

IMG_3963.JPG

IMG_3964.JPG

I do use a small board or stone as a prop but otherwise this planting is very stabile.
IMG_3968.JPG

This planting is about 17" tall and 24" wide...
IMG_3969.JPG

The stone also has a cool peep hole that can be seen from the front and rear.
IMG_3975.JPG

$450

johng

Omono
Reaction score
I sit waiting, how far am I from you?

EDIT: just looked it up - may not be able to drive that far!

I would meet you half way...but the better option for you would be to make plans to attend the Carolina Bonsai Expo!!

Last edited:

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Chinzan Azalea in a Cochoy container...
IMG_3929.JPG

I purchased about 50 large Chinzans that I drastically pruned. All but 3 have found new homes pretty earlt in the process. This is one of the three that I chose to keep. It has an excellent root spread and is one of the larger trunked domestic Chinzan that I have come across.
IMG_3931.JPG

IMG_3932.JPG

IMG_3933.JPG

IMG_3938.JPG

Tha root base of this tree is better than 4" across.
IMG_3940.JPG

And about 14" tall from the table top.
IMG_3942.JPG

This tree is really ready for someone to take it to the next level!
$350

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Love to take the satzuki will you be coming to Washington or Maryland John?

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Love to take the satzuki will you be coming to Washington or Maryland John?
I am not sure if it will work out yet but I am tentatively going to see Jack Sustic near the end of Oct. before he retires.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Love that BC. Worth every penny you're asking.
Unfortunately it's out of my league as far as size, experience and comfort level at this point.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Love that BC. Worth every penny you're asking.
Unfortunately it's out of my league as far as size, experience and comfort level at this point.

The size could be an issue...but you would do just fine with rest Sandy!

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Any discounts if we suddenly just show up in your driveway;)?

Always for you Dave!

But do call first...kind of a long drive if I end up not home:)

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Ok, here is something a little different. This is a Korean boxwood and dwarf crepe myrtle on a piece of lace rock. I created this piece 2 years ago after spending several years developing the stock.
IMG_3947.JPG

IMG_3948.JPG

IMG_3950.JPG

Somewhere around 28" tall...and abot 21" inches at the widest point.
IMG_3953.JPG

$200

johng

Omono
Reaction score
An excellent Japaneses Maple forest. I grew every tree in this planting from seedlings. They were developed in the ground, growing through a cd, for 4 years. This is the second growing season for this grouping. Many of the trees were developed as clumps and then put together. I think there are 21 trunks in the composition. The container is a medium quality Chinese that is about 20" wide.
IMG_3980.JPG

IMG_3981.JPG

IMG_3982.JPG

IMG_3983.JPG

Great bases on the trees
IMG_3987.JPG

Between 20 and 21" tall from the table...

IMG_3984.JPG

$600

Top Bottom