Too much? Boxwoods are STRONG!

BonjourBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I purchased this boxwood from HD I think in the fall of 2019. In April 2020, I repotted and trimmed it like crazy.

@Dragonmaster and @San Franpsycho asked me how it was doing and I'm happy to report that over the last two years it has recovered well. I did nothing to it except water and feed.

The brownish leaves are a little concerning. But that might be it just waking up from winter still.

I need to do some styling and trimming. Any suggestions on a direction?

Attachments

• IMG_20220416_184318571.jpg
    IMG_20220416_184318571.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_20220416_184316112.jpg
    IMG_20220416_184316112.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_20220416_184312661.jpg
    IMG_20220416_184312661.jpg
    378.1 KB · Views: 167

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm no boxwood expert, but I know that they're not exactly receptive to wire on lignified branches. They have a LONG memory. I'd suggest working with new shoots and tender growth if you intend to redirect that growth.

BonjourBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here's an update. New growth looks healthy.

Attachments

• IMG_20220702_133552179.jpg
    IMG_20220702_133552179.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_20220702_133444159_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220702_133444159_HDR.jpg
    331.2 KB · Views: 144

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice start. You might want to plant that deeper, or cover the exposed roots if you want to keep them.

johnbaz

Mame
Reaction score
Here's an update. New growth looks healthy.

Very nice!👍

I brought eight Box plants home that were part of a small hedge, They had been on the side of the house for twelve weeks in black bin bags so I thought they wouldn't survive- All but one made it!, Now the mum in law has a few as does my sister in law, I still have two!

Here's one that I recently repotted and did a bit of chopping here and there!..
sA1QvUp.jpg

Some of the trees freshly potted in november of 2018 and taking refuge in an unheated greenhouse. 😳
WzuUK7q.jpg

John :)

BonjourBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm thinking ahead to a spring repot. I've never really gotten a tree to this stage before where I would buy a pot just for it. I think boxwoods would traditionally be planted in a glazed pot rather than clay. I like the look of this one but would like to hear other people's thoughts?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
thoughts?

How's a description for a buff clay pot claim purple clay is tops for bonsai?

This passes the sniff test like an 8gram line of fentynol.

Sorce

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm thinking ahead to a spring repot. I've never really gotten a tree to this stage before where I would buy a pot just for it. I think boxwoods would traditionally be planted in a glazed pot rather than clay. I like the look of this one but would like to hear other people's thoughts?

Boxwood are kind of unique in that they are broadleafed evergreens that gives you a range of options, not just glazed. I've got boxwood in both glazed and unglazed pots. Both work fine. Depends ultimately on each boxwoods' character. I wanted a more tall oakish look for this one, as the image in my mind is of beat up old oaks I have seen in the higher ridges of the Appalachians...Pot is Japanese drum with a thin ribbon of glaze on the top surfaces...I've also used the grey drum (made by Don Gould) for the same tree.

Attachments

• literatiboxwood (1).jpg
    literatiboxwood (1).jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 80
  • gouldtwo.jpg
    gouldtwo.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 101

BonjourBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
How's a description for a buff clay pot claim purple clay is tops for bonsai?

This passes the sniff test like an 8gram line of fentynol.

Sorce
Yeah, I didn't read the description, I was just looking at that design and color.

BonjourBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Boxwood are kind of unique in that they are broadleafed evergreens that gives you a range of options, not just glazed. I've got boxwood in both glazed and unglazed pots. Both work fine. Depends ultimately on each boxwoods' character. I wanted a more tall oakish look for this one, as the image in my mind is of beat up old oaks I have seen in the higher ridges of the Appalachians...Pot is Japanese drum with a thin ribbon of glaze on the top surfaces...I've also used the grey drum (made by Don Gould) for the same tree.
I like that pot for your tree. It works.

I was leaving towards glazed because I think this tree is presenting more like a maple which I think would traditionally go with a glazed pot.

johnbaz

Mame
Reaction score
Here's another Box that I bought in 2019 from the Bonsai Bootsale, I gave (I think) £20 from a friend for it 👍
IQK5UHH.jpg

I took this pic of the above tree a few months ago..
TlL4bSq.jpg

Here's another one of those that I was given, It's not very good but may amount to something in a few years!
CYCnA7W.jpg
mZiEG9W.jpg

There's a self set Whitebeam in the pot too, I cut it right down since I took the pics!

John :)

Top Bottom