Too much sun?

larlamonde

Shohin
Reaction score
Just wondering if junipers can get too much sun. I'm not talking about Arizona or Florida but say northeast area. I'm considering a location for my trees and I have options. My trees get about 7 hours of direct sunlight mostly afternoon to late day facing west. Most sites say junipers love full sun. Is too much a bad thing?

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
In your area, all day sun is fine. Of course, the best sun in general for plants is morning and early afternoon sun. Also, junipers kept in full sun need a good fertilizing regimen to keep their nice green color. Sometimes they are not quite as green without it.

Rob

dabase6091

Seed
Reaction score
My wife got us a Juniper the other day. We live in AZ and were just talking about how much sun it should get. We don't have a lot of shade and are worried about killing it.
We are new to the world of Bonsai trees and advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
My wife got us a Juniper the other day. We live in AZ and were just talking about how much sun it should get. We don't have a lot of shade and are worried about killing it.
We are new to the world of Bonsai trees and advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

A fair amount of afternoon shade is probably a must in AZ.

dabase6091

Seed
Reaction score
A fair amount of afternoon shade is probably a must in AZ.

We are getting into the 100+ degree/monsoon season here in AZ. What temps are good/bad for junipers? I have been looking online and the info is all over the board. :(

Thanks

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We are getting into the 100+ degree/monsoon season here in AZ. What temps are good/bad for junipers? I have been looking online and the info is all over the board. :(

Thanks

Its not so much the heat or sun that will hurt them, its drying out that gets them. If you can keep it wet when it needs it, it will do fine . They will bake when dry.

ed

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
My shimpakus get all day full sun in AL. I did an experiment a few years ago on siting, and for me, they did far better in full sun than shade.

I do mist the foliage regularly, and water well; even keeping them a little on the damp side.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8

Thanks

What KIND of juniper? Shimpku (J. chinensis) MUST have afternoon shade in AZ. Some of the native western junipers, will tolerate warmer temperatures (and pots).

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
My shimpakus are all in 30% shade...Not too bad doing...but I am in Africa. Even my pines are under the same...Had them half for 6 month in full sun in summer...and they did not look as healthy as they look now...but only time will tell if this is a good idea.

Attachments

• 17 04 2014 023 (600x564).jpg
    17 04 2014 023 (600x564).jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 77
  • 17 04 2014 022 (600x400).jpg
    17 04 2014 022 (600x400).jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 17 04 2014 025 (600x400).jpg
    17 04 2014 025 (600x400).jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 65

nabil

Yamadori
Reaction score
I didnt know that full sun with 40c heat will crisp the foilage and kill it.
Hope it will recover after two lowest branches almost dried up

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I have all my shimps (9- 3 year old cuttings) in full sun on a south side exposure of my home. They seem to be doing fine thus far. I will probably move them back to the east side of my home sometime in july when we start seeing constant 90+ degree days. I have notice that my parsons junipers do not like as much sun as the shimps do. I do water the shimps heavily to ensure that they do not dry out it our sun. They receive probably 8 hours of direct sun.

dabase6091

Seed
Reaction score
What KIND of juniper? Shimpku (J. chinensis) MUST have afternoon shade in AZ. Some of the native western junipers, will tolerate warmer temperatures (and pots).

Here is a pic of our Bonsai. All we got when purchased from the nursery is that its a Bonsai. :(

Any tips, hints, and suggestions on which direction to go is greatly appreciated. :D

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_1011.jpg
    IMG_1011.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 75
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I didnt got a picture, But i test two of my Itoigawa shimpaku,

One is direct sunlight and another in 50% shade all day.
Our temp here avg around 100-105.

The juniper on 50% shade looks very healthy and dark green.
The juniper on full sun looks light green.

Another difference im seeing is the one in fullsun have more elongated shoots but less foliage (probably i will test again next year).

Top Bottom