Too much water?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Im having some issues with spotting on various deciduous trees on my benches. Im thinking they are getting too wet with this rain. However, each of these trees are potted in a well draining mix either 2:1:1 DE, pumice, lava or 2:1 napa to grit. I've not seen this kind of leaf spotting before, i do t think its fungal. However i also wonder if it us a form of chlorosis? Especially looks that way on the hackberry. Any thoughts?

Hackberry, potted in 2:1 napa and grit
IMG_20190715_181051.jpg

Trident 1 in 2:1:1 DE pumice lava
IMG_20190715_181043.jpg

Trident 2 in 2:1:1 DE pumice lava
IMG_20190715_181109.jpg

Quince in turface (I hink, got this one already potted.)

Attachments

• IMG_20190715_181457.jpg
    IMG_20190715_181457.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 62

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Chlorosis. Your plants need some chelated iron to lower the soil pH and allow nutrient uptake. This is typical with bonsai substrate and lots of water. One dose of fertilizer for acid loving plant should do the trick.

Too much water usually presents itself with browning of the margin of leaves, which is frustratingly also an indication of too little water.

D

Deleted member 21616

@cheap_walmart_art check out my most recent post in this thread:

look especially at the response by @River's Edge in post #4 of that thread. He had called the issue for me very early on, and it took me 2 months to figure out on my own.

my advice: get a hold of your watering and rule-out that basic but important factor with absolutely confidence before proceeding with anything like epsom, chelated iron, etc.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@cheap_walmart_art check out my most recent post in this thread:

look especially at the response by @River's Edge in post #4 of that thread. He had called the issue for me very early on, and it took me 2 months to figure out on my own.

my advice: get a hold of your watering and rule-out that basic but important factor with absolutely confidence before proceeding with anything like epsom, chelated iron, etc.

I saw that post this morning - good info. As far as my watering goes, when its not monsoon season my trees do pretty good, its just been nothing but wet, humid, and raining for the last couple weeks here in TN. My back yard is eternally damp.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I tested the soil with a ph strip and it showed up between a 6 and 7...which makes sense, my water supply comes in right at that range as well. I gave all the trees exhibiting symptoms of chlorosis a dose of miracle grow for acid loving plants and now ill just keep an eye on them to see if it improves the next couple weeks.

So if this works, will the existing yellow foliage green up, or will i just see the new growth not going yellow as it matures?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
A significant amount of the liquid fertilizer was absorbed with in minutes of applying. But rain can leach the fertilizer out of the plant's tissues.

So yes, hit them again with acid fertilizer & or iron fertilizer.

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You can try moving one or two of them to an area that gets protection from rain and control the water usage. If you give all of them the same dose of acid fertilizer, then you can determine if the overwatering is the problem.

Top Bottom