Too soon? Prunus Subhirtella...

zekelogan

Seed
Reaction score
These suckers seem to be above the graft line, thus a green light for trunk chopping? If not, I'm gonna start strategizing some air layering up top. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Location: CT, USA

Attachments

• 20190706_150224.jpg
    20190706_150224.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 20190706_150244.jpg
    20190706_150244.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 20190706_150310.jpg
    20190706_150310.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 39

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Those are so close to the graft, that you'd have to sue the graft as part of the base. I think I would wait to get some buds to pop higher on the trunk than that. I think you might be able to force some if you take the top back hard, but not chop.

D

Deleted member 21616

welcome to the forum, ad nice maple in the background!

Any thoughts would be appreciated

i don't see a worthwhile chop in the future of this tree, because that base does not look like it will ever develop the same kind of beautiful bark like your cherry already has.

my approach would be much more straightforward. Take cuttings and air layers, and create bonsai with them!

zekelogan

Seed
Reaction score
welcome to the forum, ad nice maple in the background!

i don't see a worthwhile chop in the future of this tree, because that base does not look like it will ever develop the same kind of beautiful bark like your cherry already has.

my approach would be much more straightforward. Take cuttings and air layers, and create bonsai with them!
Thank you! That green dissectum in the background is my pride n joy :) Thanks for the input, to the both of you. I have a BIG Mama cherry blossom just outside our condo fence and also a Hally Jolivette at my parent's house which I failed at getting both cuttings and air layers with over the last year... Getting a good flowering cherry has been quite a challenge, thus far.

Top Bottom