Too soon to repot again?

Spdyracer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
made a noob mistake and got a little ahead of myself about three weeks ago. I had a small blood good maple in my yard that I replaced with another tree. I cleaned all the old dirt out of the roots and had it ready to repot. I had ordered some Fujiyama general purpose mix and being the first time potting something I didn't have a sieve and the dirt had a lot of fine particles. Now I have a sieve and I have also bought pumic, lava rock and akadama to make a lot better potting mix. When I potted it the tree was still dormant but now the leafs have started to come out. Is it a bad idea to repot it again with the better soil so soon and since it's no longer dormant? I worry there was too much fine dust like material in the mix and it won't drain well and may cause root rot by holding too much water. Should I be concerned or should I just let it go the way it is?

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Do you have any pictures? I made the mistake of rushing things during my first growing season as a bonsai. Hearing people repeatedly say bad soil, your roots will rot, the tree won't develop well resulted in me doing late repottings that probably caused more harm to the tree than good. Granted recommended mixes often lend towards better root development better suited to pot culture but rushing over things won't help in any way. Trees grow plenty fine in soil with lots of fines and organics. Perhaps its better to lose one growing season rather than losing the entire tree. Given that your tree leafed out already you risk damaging the tree by a late repotting. I would say just be careful not to over water the tree and let the soil dry out (not completely) between waterings.

That said if you absolutely want to repot you probably could. I repotted several Japanese maples after bud break--not that it was my preferred choice but because it was at the only time circumstances would allow. Most of them did fine but one was a bit slower to recover. After 2 weeks though all the maples were golden. If you have cool weather for a week--better yet rain a late repotting might be more forgiving to the tree. Just understand by doing so you subject the tree to stress and make it more susceptible to poor weather or other ailments. Anyhow good luck! I find bonsai very satisfying and a good way to alleviate stress from school, work, and whatnot.

Spdyracer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
image.jpeg
Here's a picture of the tree. One of the main trunks was broke off when I bought it and the other got broke off during the winter some how. Decided to dig it up and make it a pre bonsai and see if I could do anything with it

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Nice start. I think the tree will be fine as it is for a year. Just wait until next spring, when buds swell to repot.

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Normally the finest parts will wash out when you will water, not to worry too much with that IMO.
Unless of course your soil is so compact that you end-up with a swamp in the pot, but I'm pretty sure it won't be the case.
If your tree spend the spring/summer well then a falls repoting may be?...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This is the first year I used a sieve...when I repotted my Virginia Creeper out of the unsigned mix...it had amazing roots. My Bougainvillea inside...has new roots galore...it will be repotted this summer also in the unsolved soil. Main thing is pay attention to drainage. If it drains your good. Sieve at next years repot...is what I would do.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

I would leave it.

And airlayer it at that lil nub, above what is likely, a nasty graft.

New roots In new soil, New good base.

One more rock and you can kill a whole flock of birds!

Sorce

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
made a noob mistake and got a little ahead of myself about three weeks ago. I had a small blood good maple in my yard that I replaced with another tree. I cleaned all the old dirt out of the roots and had it ready to repot. I had ordered some Fujiyama general purpose mix and being the first time potting something I didn't have a sieve and the dirt had a lot of fine particles. Now I have a sieve and I have also bought pumic, lava rock and akadama to make a lot better potting mix. When I potted it the tree was still dormant but now the leafs have started to come out. Is it a bad idea to repot it again with the better soil so soon and since it's no longer dormant? I worry there was too much fine dust like material in the mix and it won't drain well and may cause root rot by holding too much water. Should I be concerned or should I just let it go the way it is?
Don't make another noob mistake of doing too much at once and worrying too much about your trees.

I wouldn't worry about not sifting prepared bonsai soil. It will work well without sifting.

FWIW, I haven't sifted bonsai soil ingredients for a very long time. I did for a while, but sifting is time-consuming and tedious with hand-held sieves. If you're starting with relatively uniform-sized hard particles, sifting is ultimately not really worth the effort, IMO. Also sifting organic particles can be self-defeating, as you break them down into dust with the sifting. Don't go overboard with the organic ingredients and the dust will mostly wash out of the pot--if you're using a decent bonsai pot that drains well.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would leave it be and chalk it up to experience. Monitor your watering and you will be fine.

I would consider air lairing it just below where the trunk splits next year. It looks like the graft is going to be hard to correct otherwise.

Spdyracer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the welcome and advice it's greatly appreciated. Got a little worried after I got my sieve because I had a second bag I used it on. Half the bag was just dust particles and only half the bag was useable material. Started thinking how I used a bag to repot and I'm sure it was just as bad as the second one I used the sieve on.

The plant on the far left is an azalea exbury. Probably not a great azalea for bonsai but I got it cheap and liked the look of the three trunks so I thought I would mess with it to see what I could do with it.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks for the welcome and advice it's greatly appreciated. Got a little worried after I got my sieve because I had a second bag I used it on. Half the bag was just dust particles and only half the bag was useable material. Started thinking how I used a bag to repot and I'm sure it was just as bad as the second one I used the sieve on.

The plant on the far left is an azalea exbury. Probably not a great azalea for bonsai but I got it cheap and liked the look of the three trunks so I thought I would mess with it to see what I could do with it.

Didn't see may leaves...and thought are those huge blooms about to open...or new foliage emerging. I'm dead on my feet...down sick. And so it confused me, are those blooms or just how new foliage comes on? Hey, if anything...if offers you horiticultal needs of an azalea. Enjoy your journey...

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Putting your location in your profile will enable experienced people in a similar growing climate to yours to offer some tips.:cool:

Spdyracer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
image.jpeg Since a couple people have brought up the trunk thought I would try to take a few up close pictures of it.

Spdyracer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Didn't see may leaves...and thought are those huge blooms about to open...or new foliage emerging. I'm dead on my feet...down sick. And so it confused me, are those blooms or just how new foliage comes on? Hey, if anything...if offers you horiticultal needs of an azalea. Enjoy your journey...
Both, half are new blooms coming out and the other half is the new foliage opening. The round ones are the flowers and are now mostly a dark red color and half opened up. This was about a week ago.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Both, half are new blooms coming out and the other half is the new foliage opening. The round ones are the flowers and are now mostly a dark red color and half opened up. This was about a week ago.
We're getting snow here...so if you get a chance to share a photo of it in bloom. It would be a great pick me up...spring is here...no matter how many inches of snow this next round drops on us.

Top Bottom