Too soon?

Tbrshou

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a/
I have a few azalea's that I want to do cut backs and repotting on just wondering if now is too early? Also I have a bag of kanuma im trying to make stretch would a mix of kanuma, pine bark and DE be suitable for azalea? BTW they currently reside in a poly hoop house away from frost

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Pruning them back now would be fine, but I like to wait to repot until they’re breaking dormancy. You could get away with repotting sooner if you can keep them frost-free, if you’re not too aggressive with root removal. Azaleas are reliably very hardy in our area.

Tbrshou

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a/
Thanks Brian any advise on the soil mix I proposed using?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I have a few azalea's that I want to do cut backs and repotting on just wondering if now is too early? Also I have a bag of kanuma im trying to make stretch would a mix of kanuma, pine bark and DE be suitable for azalea? BTW they currently reside in a poly hoop house away from frost
A more appropriate question would be is there any advantage to repotting now?
If they are frost free the azaleas will probably tolerate root pruning in winter but probably won't actually respond till the weather warms in spring so no real advantage of early repot unless you have little time in the optimum spring window. I actually repot mine after flowering. I have also discovered they actually do really well when root pruned any time through the warmer months down here.
None of my azaleas (indicas, kurume and satsuki) have kanuma in the soil mix. They all grow quite well in pine bark/sand mix so your proposed mix should be fine but do check your water supply. Water pH appears to be a much bigger factor for azalea than the actual soil mix.

Top Bottom