Took Out Some Nervous Energy On My New Boxwood

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Allot of nervous energy to work out today, so I beat up on a boxwood. First time using my new concave cutters; fits REAL bonsai tool ever.😁 Technique will need some work.

Almost forgot a "before" pic, but there was enough left on one side to give you the idea when I finally remembered.
IMG_20220708_144153_701.jpg
Had to shear off a few inches of fresh growth just to get it out of my way, as well as damn near girdle the thing to remove a ring of thick branches that were causing a nasty bulge in the same node. One side of that spot is completely intact, with thin strands of live bark between the wounds as well so 🤞

Some during pics.
IMG_20220708_144510_723.jpg
IMG_20220708_144546_113.jpg

And final product.
IMG_20220708_150651_023.jpg
IMG_20220708_150705_463.jpg
IMG_20220708_150717_584.jpg
IMG_20220708_150729_260.jpg
Also a dog butt.

I'm thinking a tree somewhere with windswept winters, repeatedly pummeled by snow storms. That lowest branch surviving the worst of the storms by being partially buried in snowdrifts much of the winter, the next one up snapping at some point leaving the jin. The top half grows healthy and proud except for what does back in the blizzards.

Critique, criticize and belittle to your heats' content.
Not optimal timing, but my understanding is these things are tough as hell, and I REALLY needed something to occupy myself before I decided on the liquor store in stead.
Repotting in spring maybe to start on the nebari, but not at the same time as such a heavy pruning when it's 90F outside. Wanted some thoughts before wiring. The bigger wounds have been covered with plumber's putty. It doesn't stick terribly long, but long enough for it to seal itself. Wish I'd gotten some close ups of the cuts before covering them to get some feedback on my cutting technique.

Attachments

• IMG_20220708_150717_584.jpg
    IMG_20220708_150717_584.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 8

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Allot of nervous energy to work out today, so I beat up on a boxwood. First time using my new concave cutters; fits REAL bonsai tool ever.😁 Technique will need some work.

Almost forgot a "before" pic, but there was enough left on one side to give you the idea when I finally remembered.
View attachment 445965
Had to shear off a few inches of fresh growth just to get it out of my way, as well as damn near girdle the thing to remove a ring of thick branches that were causing a nasty bulge in the same node. One side of that spot is completely intact, with thin strands of live bark between the wounds as well so 🤞

Some during pics.
View attachment 445966
View attachment 445967

And final product.
View attachment 445968
View attachment 445969
View attachment 445970
View attachment 445972
Also a dog butt.

I'm thinking a tree somewhere with windswept winters, repeatedly pummeled by snow storms. That lowest branch surviving the worst of the storms by being partially buried in snowdrifts much of the winter, the next one up snapping at some point leaving the jin. The top half grows healthy and proud except for what does back in the blizzards.

Critique, criticize and belittle to your heats' content.
Not optimal timing, but my understanding is these things are tough as hell, and I REALLY needed something to occupy myself before I decided on the liquor store in stead.
Repotting in spring maybe to start on the nebari, but not at the same time as such a heavy pruning when it's 90F outside. Wanted some thoughts before wiring. The bigger wounds have been covered with plumber's putty. It doesn't stick terribly long, but long enough for it to seal itself. Wish I'd gotten some close ups of the cuts before covering them to get some feedback on my cutting technique.
Groovy! This is a neat tree!

First time using a concave cutters...?

I'm gonna have to start "pushing" you more, in relation to TibyTrees in our side-life! 😂😂

You gonna slap some wire on that thing?

(If your next words are "i've never wired."... I'll scream at the atmosphere!)

😂🤓🥰

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have wired, but I don't care for it. Tedious, and often artificial feeling. I do it when I feel I can't achieve what I'm going for with other methods like guy wires or weights or whatnot. These methods work well for wood that doesn't like to bend easily, and can produce a very natural look to the curves.
I need to see what sort of wire I have around, and will likely work on it tonight. I'm just not sure what the final look in the main canopy should be. Still translating the story into the image.

Concave cutters came in the mail just the other day. Done a couple test snips on a ficus and rosemary, but that's it before today.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I have wired, but I don't care for it. Tedious, and often artificial feeling. I do it when I feel I can't achieve what I'm going for with other methods like guy wires or weights or whatnot. These methods work well for wood that doesn't like to bend easily, and can produce a very natural look to the curves.
I need to see what sort of wire I have around, and will likely work on it tonight. I'm just not sure what the final look in the main canopy should be. Still translating the story into the image.

Concave cutters came in the mail just the other day. Done a couple test snips on a ficus and rosemary, but that's it before today.

Wiring is my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE bonsai task!

🤓

I've seen weights utilized to great results, also.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wiring is my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE bonsai task!

🤓

I've seen weights utilized to great results, also.
Weights are my favorite!
I mean, we are trying to creat a sensation of weight, right?

Right now I'm thinking the lowest branch is more windward, so there's a slight windswept effect on the upper canopy, the weak and young growth on windward side of the upper half being ripped away in winter while the leeward side is more protected.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Weights are my favorite!
I mean, we are trying to creat a sensation of weight, right?

Right now I'm thinking the lowest branch is more windward, so there's a slight windswept effect on the upper canopy, the weak and young growth on windward side of the upper half being ripped away in winter while the leeward side is more protected.
Absolutely, I agree that weights will work... very realistically!

I just see them becoming cumbersome AFTER primary branches are set.

Like 2's... 4's... 8s!!!!!

😛 Look like a Christmas Hanz and Franz tree!

We are here to pump.. *Clap* You up!!

😂😂😂😂🤪🤪🤪

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
(I also need to point out that wire is my favorite... cause i can bend it in all directions, which sometimes, in my opinion, is needed. Weights only (without extra apparatus) pull one way) 🤓

Don't get me wrong, my belief is that weighting (and the completely natural shaping it offers) I would be super useful and efficient in setting primary branches (I just love the ACT of wiring, so I do THAT)... but I think AFTER those are good and set... weights will drastically lose their effectiveness corresponding to 'rounds' of development)

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, looks like you had a lot of nervous energy all right. So, do you like the cutters? I had some concave but can't get used to using things that have a spring like pruners.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
(I also need to point out that wire is my favorite... cause i can bend it in all directions, which sometimes, in my opinion, is needed. Weights only (without extra apparatus) pull one way) 🤓

Don't get me wrong, my belief is that weighting (and the completely natural shaping it offers) I would be super useful and efficient in setting primary branches (I just love the ACT of wiring, so I do THAT)... but I think AFTER those are good and set... weights will drastically lose their effectiveness corresponding to 'rounds' of development)
You're probably right, but right now everything I have is still in that initial development phase, or even earlier.
Again, I'm not averse to wiring where it's needed, and I'll do it wherever it's most practical. It's just not my first thought when shaping a tree.

Wow, looks like you had a lot of nervous energy all right. So, do you like the cutters? I had some concave but can't get used to using things that have a spring like pruners.
I AM liking them so far! Much better than the knobs left behind by pruning shears and scissors. Still some technique to establish for myself, but I'm glad I got them.
These aren't spring loaded. Entirely manual.
These are the ones I got. The carbon steel ones are cheaper, but you have to remember to clean and oil them after every use, which I'm awful about.

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Absolutely, I agree that weights will work... very realistically!

I just see them becoming cumbersome AFTER primary branches are set.

Like 2's... 4's... 8s!!!!!

😛 Look like a Christmas Hanz and Franz tree!

We are here to pump.. *Clap* You up!!

😂😂😂😂🤪🤪🤪
i clip stuff down with clothespins to the pot. Since learning the bending technique here from bonhe, I don't even do that anymore

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
lol you look. It's in the pomegranate thread. A little blip among many pages. The thing is, when you bend instead of wire the following:

1. guilt-free early pruning - where you snap just stays there still presumably making resources from energy stored in leaves.
2. in a few days a knob forms and at the junction I figure there aremany hormones both sides so I use the bend-off part as cutting, and they root fast. (all in my head)
3. The hormones create budding behind the bend while end still there.
4. Is working on difficult stock like tropical trees that need constant reminder there is new apex and branching needed at the center

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I will get a close-up photo of it in action tomorrow, and maybe the link could be in the thread titled "my work in the... " by bonhe.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'll look around for it. I think I get the gist of what you're getting at, but I wouldn't know if I'm doing it right.

p_anova

Mame
Reaction score
Washington DC. DC ARBORETUM IS BEHIND MY HOUSE!
Why wouldn't I? If it bounces back from this it should be alright by April, May I would think.
Just curious. Did a pretty aggressive prune myself and was concerned about 2 insults rule. Err on the side of caution is what I was thinking but the response of the tree is the best indicator.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Just curious. Did a pretty aggressive prune myself and was concerned about 2 insults rule. Err on the side of caution is what I was thinking but the response of the tree is the best indicator.
I was thinking this myself, but my understanding of the two insults rule of thumb is that, one, yes, the tree dictates what constitutes an insult, and, two, it's insults per season. Like if I'd repotted it today, light pruning MAYBE in August. But given the rest of summer all the way through winter to recuperate, that would certainly constitute a new season.

Top Bottom