Tool care

NOVAbonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So I just bought myself a set of Kaneshin tools (Black carbon steel). Before they arrive I wanted to know what everyone does to care for these tools and make sure they don't rust before I start using them. What kind of oil do you use on them? How do you clean them? What about when I need to get them sharpened?

Thanks in advance for your replies. I want to be sure I care for these and they last a long time :)

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I use WD-40 for storage.
When they go dull, I visit the hardware store and ebay to buy new ones. Sharpening them is usually as expensive as buying new ones (20 bucks for a new concave cutter from China, sharpening is 30).

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I used Wd-40 as well, or standard household general use oil. Almost after every use, especially on sappy trees.

Get a cheap sharpening wet stone and sharpen all flat blade items yourself, its easier than it looks.

In 8 years I havent had to sharpen any curved blade yet because I prefer a saw or secateurs on anything bigger than a pencil.

NOVAbonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ok thanks for the info. I have some Camellia oil to use. I guess you just wash them with soap and water after use and put them away dry and or oiled?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Ok thanks for the info. I have some Camellia oil to use. I guess you just wash them with soap and water after use and put them away dry and or oiled?
I let them soak in 70 ethanol for 15 minutes with a dash of dishwashing soap, then dry, oil and store.
But I forget/neglect this most of the time, since I have no trees with visible diseases and work mostly with conifers. If I would care about maples, I'd clean my tools every time.

Soaps are sometimes high in potassium or sodium salts and will increase rust formation.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a cloth and a can of ballistol. After use under wet conditions, say, 9 months per year, I spray the tools and whipe them down with the cloth. The cloth i now dense ballistol cloth :)

Top Bottom