Tool kit

MrBeto

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello guys. I'm looking to buy a decent, but not too pricey tool kit. Or the basic tools. I'm a begginer, but I want something that would last for years.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
For transplanting: Get yourself a pair of titanium chopsticks.

For wiring: A pair of needle-nosed pliers and a pair of diagonal wire cutters (the type that can cut wire right at the tip)

For pruning: These are probably the tools that will be most difficult to find non-bonsai type replacements. You will need at least one concave knob cutter and one concave branch cutter.

For trimming: Long handled pruning scissors. (In a pinch you can use regular long scissors if they are razor sharp)

For detailed bud work and working among small branches: a pair of long bent tip tweezers.

These are probably the bare minimum.

MrBeto

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How about this kit ?

Attachments

• IMG_0055.PNG
    IMG_0055.PNG
    136.6 KB · Views: 34

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You said: "but I want something that would last for years"

I can't vouch for the SS ones in post #5 but the Stanwood cutters I bought when I first got into bonsai failed pretty quickly.

MrBeto

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I can't vouch for the SS ones in post #5 but the Stanwood cutters I bought when I first got into bonsai failed pretty quickly.
Mmh.. What I mean, is that I won't be like, pruning and cutting everyday. You know. I liked those SS, but I don't know.

MrBeto

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Vin, I don't know if you get this, but for example : I'm a plumber, and my tools are not what you would call the BEST tools of the trade, but I done really nice plumbing works, and my tools have always responded. And yes, I buy tools when I need to, and I use them every single day. I don't think I'll be using bonsai tools every day, but at the same time, I don't want to be buying every time they fail.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I certainly understand. If you're only going to be using them occasionally and not on bigger branches and such then the Stanwood tools should work. Just keep in mind there is a reason they cost considerably less. If you're going to take Bonsai seriously, it's not a low cost hobby.

MrBeto

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I certainly understand. If you're only going to be using them occasionally and not on bigger branches and such then the Stanwood tools should work. Just keep in mind there is a reason they cost considerably less. If you're going to take Bonsai seriously, it's not a low cost hobby.
Vin, I have lots of trees in my property. Crapes, pecans, tangerines, grapefruits, peaches, etc. I have a bunch of gardening tools, like chainsaws, pruners, loopers and else. But not for trees intended to kept small. Perhaps I could use one of these bonsai tool kits. With that being said, I really liked the SS tool kit. I might add up a root rake. What do you think ? Both are about the same cost.

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
http://kaneshin.shop.multilingualcart.com/

These are IMO some of the best tools you can get. I also feel they are not too expensive when you factor in 2 things:

1. They will last longer than you imagine & made right.
2. Resale value (get to this in a second)

Since you expressed that you only need the necessary tools and also listed the Stanwood tools which are 70 for the pair.......may I suggest this :

As @Bonsai Nut listed Concave knob and branch cutters........those are the tools you definitely need and want to get first.

Kaneshin's tools will run you 50 to 60 each.

I would rather spend about $100 on 2 Kaneshin cutters than $70 on the Stanwoods.

Once you are ready to maybe purchase a full and complete tool kit ( TRUST ME YOU WILL SOON :D ) You could sell the Kaneshin tools and use that toward your new purchase.

Note: Stainless is more because it resists rust better. However, Carbon Steel is stronger and stays sharp longer. I personally like carbon tools. I take care of mine and don't leave them wet or laying outside in the humidity. Little more work than stainless but IMO worth it.

Just my 2 cents!!!!!!!!

Welcome to the forum and Have fun!!

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Stanwood has discontinued a few of their better starter sets but this is an exact replacement for their 14 pc... https://www.amazon.com/14-pc-Bonsai...=1431387363&ref=plSrch&ref_=mp_s_a_1_6&sr=8-6
I have a lot of expensive tools but I keep one of these set in the trunk, shed, and recently added on to the plant room. Why? because they WORK, are cost effective, AND if they get stolen, dropped, run over it makes little difference.

Grimmy

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I can't remember how I got my first tools, but it was a mishmash of a lot of stuff - Home Depot, etc. Within a year I had upgraded to an inexpensive bonsai set that I added some cheap tools to for a couple of years. Then, over the years I upgraded almost my entire set to high quality SS. I would ask for a single tool for a birthday or Christmas present. I started with the tools I used most often. Now I haven't gotten a new tool in years. However trust me when I say if you are going to start with three tools they should be:

Concave knob cutter
Concave branch cutter
Long handled scissors

I use these three tools more than all the rest of my tools combined (of course I have a couple of different sizes of each, but you get the idea). During repotting season I use my titanium chopsticks and root cutters, but root cutters you are better buying cheap ones because they will get trashed. Oh and for what it's worth - the chopsticks I use instead of a root rake. They are much better for the task.

Non-bonsai tools I still have in my tool kit?:

X-acto knife
Two pull saws (I will even use a bow saw from my garage on occasion or sawzall)
Couple of wood-carving gouges

Last edited:

MrBeto

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Stanwood has discontinued a few of their better starter sets but this is an exact replacement for their 14 pc... https://www.amazon.com/14-pc-Bonsai-Tool-Carbon-Steel/dp/B000IEB32W/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?ie=UTF8&dpID=51JsFkE+pUL&dpPl=1&keywords=bonsai tool kit&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&qid=1431387363&ref=plSrch&ref_=mp_s_a_1_6&sr=8-6
I have a lot of expensive tools but I keep one of these set in the trunk, shed, and recently added on to the plant room. Why? because they WORK, are cost effective, AND if they get stolen, dropped, run over it makes little difference.

Grimmy
I like this set. It may be cheap, but it has everything I would need for starters. As I mentioned, I don't see myself working on a daily basis on trees, and I wouldn't mind too much if they get messed up. Maybe, down the road, after learning, and keeping up, I would graduate it to better and professional tools. But first, I have to deserve them !!

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Vin, I have lots of trees in my property. Crapes, pecans, tangerines, grapefruits, peaches, etc. I have a bunch of gardening tools, like chainsaws, pruners, loopers and else. But not for trees intended to kept small. Perhaps I could use one of these bonsai tool kits. With that being said, I really liked the SS tool kit. I might add up a root rake. What do you think ? Both are about the same cost.
That SS Kit with a root rake should be enough to get you started. However, as Bonsai Nut stated with his "three tools" to get started list you will still need a knob cutter at some point.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
;)
But first, I have to deserve them !!

You deserve them but on a serious and wise note "you don't need them". A well known member here in Bonsai once said the tree does not give a shit if it is an expensive or a cheap cutter as long as it cuts properly.

These sets are carbon and are far easier to sharpen should you need to, the stainless I have are difficult at best unlike kitchen wear.

You will find that a can of 3-in-1 oil is a handy addition. When you receive them open each tool and dose it to break down the packing grease as it binds them up a bit. The oil loosens them up.

Tian makes a very strong root rake in stainless. Inexpensive as well https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Bo...sr=1-2-spons&keywords=tian+bonsai+tools&psc=1

The only reason I actually have those is my Wife is heavy handed and has bent the carbon :rolleyes: They also make a flat one 3 prong... I still use the carbon with no problem.

Grimmy

Edit: The carbon also stay nicely on a magnetic tool strip ;)

whfarro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
In my view Kaneshin are best value in terms of price / quality/ longevity.
Concave cutter
Knob cutter
Wire cutter
Depending on trees pruning scissors.

MrBeto

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In my view Kaneshin are best value in terms of price / quality/ longevity.
Concave cutter
Knob cutter
Wire cutter
Depending on trees pruning scissors.
I'll be focusing on learning jbp and junipers, for the moment.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I'll be focusing on learning jbp and junipers, for the moment.

MrBeto. You can't go wrong with Kaneshin. Get a price from Q-bonsai, a member on this site and former club member of the Houston Bonsai Society. He can beat pretty much any price on kaneshin or masakuni and he's been very reliable. Also, there's a bit of a preference in stainless vs. carbon steel. Stainless won't rust as fast, but carbon steel is harder, easier to sharpen and holds it's edge longer. Your choice - I have a lot of stainless tools, but I've grown to like the carbon steel variety better except for a few items.

In the near term for JBP, you can get away with the following for the July study group:

Branch cutters
Bud shears

You won't need anything else as we're going to be mostly decandling. I havent seen your trees so I can't tell you if they're at the decandling stage, but if not, we'll have some other pines you can practice on. In the fall, you'll want a good pair of straight tweezers - we'll be pulling needles. At the winter meeting you'll want to add some repotting tools and a couple of extra things for wiring. We'll chat about it at the study group so you'll know what you'll need in advance. I suggest you build your tool set a little at a time rather than buy a pre-built set - you'll inevitably end up purchasing a bunch of stuff that you'll never use. Spend a couple of bucks more on the stuff you will.

Top Bottom