Tools-- Concave Cutter

esteve59

Yamadori
Reaction score
Greetings Bonsainuts,
I purchased what I thought was my first semi-quality 8" stainless concave cutter from Dallas bonsai.
I have never really looked close at other peoples tools and I only have 2 cheap China concave cutters.
My question is should the blade tips meet perfectly evenly....
this one slightly overlaps.
I never thought they should be like that but they do cut like a charm...
Check out the pic...

Cheers,
Steve

Attachments

• DSCF0189 (Small).JPG
    DSCF0189 (Small).JPG
    36 KB · Views: 67

snobird

Mame
Reaction score
All those I bought had this slight overlap.

esteve59

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thanks,I appreciate the feedback....

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
When and if you ever sharpen them, DON"T try to even the blades or you will ruin them, they are designed to work that way...

keep it green,
Harry

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Goshiki,
Concave cutters and Knob cutters are suppose to overlap. If they met perfectly you'd be pinching to cut instead of slicing to cut. Same principle as a scissors.

I offer a sharpening service through my business. More times than not, I get tools in with a note from the owner saying that the tool no longer cuts correctly. Its no wonder that the tool is failing, some person has filed the edge down destroying the alignment of the mating surface and the over lapping cutting edge. So be careful when honing your new tool to keep it sharp. SS is less forgiving than black metal tools (the metal is softer) when your putting an edge on it.

It should be also noted that shears can look funny when new as well. They often come with the leading edges actually over lapping when closed. This over lap is for wear, to often people will think its a fault and try to realign them or file them down. So over a period of time they will wear down even further leaving little material left for sharpening and correct alignment.

Attachments

• concave cutter.jpg
    concave cutter.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 56
  • bonsai tool before.jpg
    bonsai tool before.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 60
  • bonsai tool after.jpg
    bonsai tool after.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

esteve59

Yamadori
Reaction score
Great info....thanks for the lesson on tool edges.....

Top Bottom