Tools for a newbie!

Zoomie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
can I get some recommendations for where I should be looking for tools ? Maybe a good starter set that doesn’t cost 3-500?

I can always upgrade later. By the same token, I understand that really bad tools can have an adverse affect while working.

Is there such a thing as a decent beginner set?

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
can I get some recommendations for where I should be looking for tools ? Maybe a good starter set that doesn’t cost 3-500?

I can always upgrade later. By the same token, I understand that really bad tools can have an adverse affect while working.

Is there such a thing as a decent beginner set?
Kimura Bonsai.
Bob Pressler is a member here and sells mid grade bonsai tools.
@bonsaibp

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I would stay away from sets and buy individual tools. A good pair of scissors, branch cutter, wire cutter and pliers will accomplish 90% of what you need to do.
My advice is to get maybe a scissors and branch cutter first, pliers can be regular channel lock type pliers. You'll need a wire cutter at some point. But spend the bulk of your bonsai budget the first year or so on plants.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I just have to say that when I read the thread title I though it said "tools for a zombie". Maybe it is the time of year.

I would recommend getting the best quality tool you can afford the first time. It makes no sense to buy a tool twice.

The only bonsai specific tool you really need up front is a good concave cutter. I would spent ~$60 and get a good quality mid range one. Regular pliers and a set of wire cutters from the hardware store are fine. If you follow the @Adair M approved method of wire removal you won't really need a set of bonsai specific wire cutters. A set of garden shears will be good enough for a start. You can invest in bonsai specific ones but there really is not point.

As you progress you will find other tools that you might need but the above will not need to be replaced and will get you started.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I really use a scissors a lot. Long narrow point, so you can get in and cut out s single fine branch. Sturdy enough to cut up to about 1/4 inch, maybe half inch if wood is soft.

Diagonal branch cutter, heavy enough to cut up to 2 inch diameter wood, - don't use it as often as a scissors, but when you need a branch cutter, nothing else will do. If you have a lot of large scale trees, and some small ones, perhaps a large diagonal, and a small diagonal cutter would be good.

Bonsai style wire cutter - or any wire cutter that will let you cut with the very tip of the tool so you can get into tight spots. For years I used an electricians side cutter. Most of my collection is in the wire it each winter, remove wire sometime over growing season, rewire it next winter phase. My wire cutter has now become my second most commonly used tool. Second only to scissors. This summer it might be my most used tool.

Pliers. Small pliers that will let you get inside the foliage of the tree to grab wire, Doesn't have to be a ''bonsai pliers''. A rounded blunt tip is more useful than a needle nose pliers, which is what most bonsai specific pliers do have. Though a needle nose could work. Lineman pliers are great for heavy wire work on large trees and for wiring a tree into a pot.

Spherical knob cutters - I only use one maybe once a year, but it really is useful in a specific situation. After the above, this would be the next to add.

The rest of my 50+ tools get used relatively infrequently compared to the above. But like a tackle box full of lures, you got to have ''one of each''.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
But like a tackle box full of lures, you got to have ''one of each''.
If I bought bonsai tools lime I bought fishing lures I would need another shed.
For lures not only do you need one of each but you need it in the different sizes and colors.
Most people except for bass anglers would crap a gold block if they saw just what I carry in my boat for a day of fishing.
I use 3 tools for bonsai mainly.
A concave cutter.
A pair of shears.
A wire cutter.
For large branches I use bypass cutters.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The Fiskars seem to be a popular item!

I have both the older Stainless and the newer Titanium - Home Depot has the Titanium for under 12.00USD and they are really good to have ;) Both are pictured here with my everyday most commonly used. You don't need half of them unless you decide to take on Junipers, and Conifers like Pine, Spruce, Cedar. I rarely use the high end stuff unless I need to be showy which is never.
There is no more then 60.00USD total there. upwards of 5oo.00USD are stored. As long as they can be kept sharp they work and are easily replaced if you wreck them, lose them, or accidently drowned them...:oops: I have more of the less expensive stuff too but not often used. Easier to explain on the phone honest but I suggest a call.

IMG_1558.JPG

Grimmy

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Single prong root hook/rake, I use mine a lot. That, chopsticks and my concave branch cutter see the most action.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
You could just get some fiskars fine tip pruning shears from Lowe's or Home Depot to start with rather than bonsai scissors and they work great.
I have a pair. I like them, and use them. Good enough for a range of work.

Wooden chop sticks, I find having a number on hand to mark front, tease out roots, aerate soil, stab the guy next to you making snide remarks while you work, chopsticks are real handy.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
buck.99 the cost of a candy ba

Add the cost of smashed branch ends that invite pests and disease......

Harbor Freight is like the "bonsai man in the bonsai van" for tools....

Don't say they let you return em forever Cuz then you just ad like $20 in gas to the price!

The best Karma one can earn....
Comes from rejecting Harbor Freight.

Folks who shop at Harbor Freight are not allowed to celebrate Independence Day....
Barbecue, watch baseball, carry arms, use good tools (mostly because they'll never own them), fish, drive Detroit muscle, repair a car.

Forgive me.....

Love of people has me investing tons of hate into HF.
HF.
Chili's, Ikea, Chick-fil-A, Etc...all of em!

Sorce

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The best Karma one can earn....
Comes from rejecting Harbor Frei

It depends what you are getting some of the stuff is really not bad for the price. You just need to be willing to put some work into the tools before you use them. A little bit of hand work cam make most of they're stuff into very usable tools.

For tools that are rairly used you can't beat them. It is also great for a set of loaner tools.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
If I bought bonsai tools lime I bought fishing lures I would need another shed.
For lures not only do you need one of each but you need it in the different sizes and colors.
Most people except for bass anglers would crap a gold block if they saw just what I carry in my boat for a day of fishing.
I use 3 tools for bonsai mainly.
A concave cutter.
A pair of shears.
A wire cutter.
For large branches I use bypass cutters.
People look inside my boats rod lockers and say -why do you need 21 rods and reels?

Top Bottom