Tools for Collecting Yamadori

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
Hey there B-Nutters. This year will be my first diving into the joys of Yamadori collection. I have the opportunity to collect a few nice trees right in my neighborhood, as well as a trip later in the spring with some very experienced collectors where I can really learn the ropes. I am looking to buy some good tools for the jobs ahead, and want as much good input as possible before pulling the trigger. What spades, shovels, lopers, and saws do you all recommend? Looking for tools that are bulletproof while also able to be carried to and from the site. Any and all input is much appreciated!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
The tools really are dependent on what kind of enviroment you will collect in. For me a really good quality and large folding hand saw, a really strong irrigation trenching shovel, loppers, and hand pruners, I can get out any tree with this (as long as its not too heavy to pick up by myself).

This is my chosen shovel: http://shop.coronatoolsusa.com/ss-64324-trench-digging-shovel-4-in.html.html

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
The tools really are dependent on what kind of enviroment you will collect in. For me a really good quality and large folding hand saw, a really strong irrigation trenching shovel, loppers, and hand pruners, I can get out any tree with this (as long as its not too heavy to pick up by myself).

This is my chosen shovel: http://shop.coronatoolsusa.com/ss-64324-trench-digging-shovel-4-in.html.html
Thanks for the reply Matt. The environments I will be collecting in are going to be quite varied. I live in the Willamette Valley of Washington/Oregon, and our soil tends to be pretty heavy clay, so that's what I'm expecting in yards and forests close by. At least one of the collecting trips will be up in a lava field of one of our many volcanos, and I honestly have no idea what to expect from the soil there. I also hope to be out in central Oregon (the Bend area), which is high desert, and expect something entirely different than these two areas there. I am hoping to find some tools that are all-purpose enough to do a good job in each area. If I have to get different tools for each trip, that will work too, but I would love to keep things simple.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Folding hand saw, belt rachet thing, and shovel much like Aarons - hand pickaxe too but that rarely leaves the car

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
Unless you are collecting in the mountains and there are crazy rocks and i dont deal with that much since i live in the south. With these three tools I can collect just about anything quite easily.
20170222_183115.jpg

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I live in the Willamette Valley of Washington/Oregon

ohhh, really now? Hi, neighbor! We should discuss this. Are you a BSOP member? :)

Of note: the Valley soils are totally different from forests. The Valley is super rich because of historical glacial floods that transported soil and TONS of river gravel. In many areas you may find an oppressive quantity of rocks to dig through. Otherwise, I have found people had commonly used crushed gravel as drainage fill underneath plantings.

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fisker makes loppers with a partial gear on them that can cut decent sized branches and roots. They also make nice hand cutters.

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
ohhh, really now? Hi, neighbor! We should discuss this. Are you a BSOP member? :)

Of note: the Valley soils are totally different from forests. The Valley is super rich because of historical glacial floods that transported soil and TONS of river gravel. In many areas you may find an oppressive quantity of rocks to dig through. Otherwise, I hajve found people had commonly used crushed gravel as drainage fill underneath plantings.
I've been working with the group at Tsugawa's nursery in Woodland for the last two years, but will be at the BSOP meeting this Tuesday to check it out. It would be great to meet you if you're planning on attending. If not I'm sure we could find a good time to meet up and chat. I would love to find some more folks to work on trees and learn with.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I been rolling with only a fiskars folding saw....

I edged my lawn with it last year too.

Sorce

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Josh88 yes, I will be there. I'm 5'8", wear a short beard, black rimmed glasses, and I'm bald. That might be enough to spot me. Say hi.

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
http://www.razor-back.com/tool/shovels-and-scoops/163105000-13-in-industrial-all-steel-spade/

this shovel is some of the best money I ever spent. I sharpen it with a stone. cuts like butter, and its a real shovel. I've broken many. @choppychoppy I have that same sog tommy haha.

one of these has also changed the game for me too.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Otter-Outdoors-Sport-Sled/1083149.uts?searchPath=/browse.cmd?categoryId=734095080&CQ_search=ice+fishing+sled&CQ_st=b

Last edited:

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I volunteer with the Forest Preserve District of Cook County (around Chicago) and they supply us with similar sleds that we use to carry our chainsaws and fuel as well as other tools. When we remove trees for ecological restoration. We have prairies and oak woodlands that we work in restoring.

The sleds make life a lot easier hauling the gear.

Top Bottom