tools not rules - bonsai and songwriting

Jluke33

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Some background first. I'm coming out of about a decade long career in Music, and adopted practicing Bonsai as a new way to be creatively expressive in my life now that i'm not pursuing music. I'm obviously still quite Green but I already can't help but to start to see the parallels in learning between my previous artform and this one.

That being said, I was watching the Mirai channel on youtube (specifically the BSOP 2018 super critique) and noticed a tension that I think is often expressed here as well. bonsai craft vs. bonsai art. There's a point in the video where Ryan Neil disagrees with the other professionals who are critiquing an engleman spruce because it doesn't meet some particular nuts and bolts markers of "good bonsai" and he disagrees that these are issues with the tree but rather intentional features chosen by the artist (who I think he knows personally).

ANYway, it got me thinking. When I was learning songwriting in school, one of the foundational concepts we learned was called "tools not rules". The idea is that there are well worn paths and mechanisms for success in the artform. Many call these rules and live almost religiously by them. And, you can write a great song (or in our case) make an outstanding bonsai, if you master these mechanisms. However, mastering the mechanisms, however long it takes (and I suppose in any artform you never completly master even the basics) you still are not exactly being creatively expressive. It's only when you know (and can execute) the "rules" and can choose to employ them or not, that you are being creative and doing something new.

This is why the concept is called "tools not rules". or maybe more commonly "rules were meant to be broken" NOW, for someone like me, fresh off the boat, I probably have no business treating the "rules" like "tools" because i need to learn a thing or two before I can choose to go "outside the box". obvisouly one has to understand the mechanism and be able to execute it before being able to manipulate it.

I feel like this is how any and every artform evolves. Masters of the craft deciding to break the rules to make something new, still resting on the deep foundation of knowledge the craft brings. Anyway I have no particular jumping off point for discussion, and am more just in my head this morning thinking of all the ways that my new pursuit mirrors my old one.....

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I, also, spent close to a decade, performing my music and getting paid... ;) (not my SOLE income.. but the largest part of it, for sure.)

You’d end up at weird afterparties in basements and “tweaker pads”... a warped, First Act Walmart guitar with three strings in the corner..

You tune that crappy, 3-stringed guitar.. and you make music line it’s not even in your way!..

Tools are NICE....

But they matter very little to those who KNOW their craft, organically.

🤓

Jluke33

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I, also, spent close to a decade, performing my music and getting paid... ;) (not my SOLE income.. but the largest part of it, for sure.)

You’d end up at weird afterparties in basements and “tweaker pads”... a warped, First Act Walmart guitar with three strings in the corner..

You tune that crappy, 3-stringed guitar.. and you make music line it’s not even in your way!..

Tools are NICE....

🤓
hahaha nice. unfortunately most of my musical ventures were quite a bit more straight laced and not nearly as fun as yours sounds haha

Oh yes that's probably an overlooked point, the physical tools themselves matter vvery little as long as the perform the task at hand (and in the hands of a master any physical tool can be used successfully).

the Tools referred to in "tools not rules" is more figurative. Like, for example in the video I was referencing, one of the trees had a branch crossing accross the front of trunk, with the branch originating one side and the pad resting opposite. (apparently and generally a no no in bonsai). My point is like, that that's a "rule" of the craft "don't keep branches that cross your trunk" but in the hands of a master, the choice to keep or break the rule is a "tool" in their proverbial tool belt.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
hahaha nice. unfortunately most of my musical ventures were quite a bit more straight laced and not nearly as fun as yours sounds haha

Oh yes that's probably an overlooked point, the physical tools themselves matter vvery little as long as the perform the task at hand (and in the hands of a master any physical tool can be used successfully).

the Tools referred to in "tools not rules" is more figurative. Like, for example in the video I was referencing, one of the trees had a branch crossing accross the front of trunk, with the branch originating one side and the pad resting opposite. (apparently and generally a no no in bonsai). My point is like, that that's a "rule" of the craft "don't keep branches that cross your trunk" but in the hands of a master, the choice to keep or break the rule is a "tool" in their proverbial tool belt.
Oh yes.. i meant both...

Listen to some Zeppelin.. and the musical fusion/spirit of Jimmy Page and John Bohnnom (sp?)... they break rules.. at the same time... together...

Tool pushes some things we know about time signatures... whereas blues and jazz musicians push the limits of whats acceptable in scale...

The problem with the posed question.. is that for music.. or “arranged rhythmic/melodic/harmonious VIBRATIONS”.... the “Rules/tools” HAVE to be followed.. or you lose factors.. making it NOT “music”..

Another example... In the Song “Jennifer” by Bert Sommer(HIGHLY RECOMMEND).. he uses a Dm note in the first 2 notes of the Chorus progression.. JUST to match a Vocal note... in the scale of the “song”.. this isn’t “correct”.. but it is definitely necessary.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

Tools are NICE....

🤓
Me being THAT guy... again. (I might have a problem.)

Taking the figurative and literal meaning of, 'tool,' if the first thing a budding musician found to play was that three-stringed guitar, taught themselves everything on that three-stringed guitar, and performed successfully and got paid with that three-stringed guitar, how awful would it be for them and their audience personally, professionally, artistically, etc. to force them to play a brand new, high end, fully strung guitar?

Put another way; your example suggests that a master of the fully functional as intended guitar can play even a broken guitar. When you master the broken thing first, i.e. the incomplete tool set or improvised tools at your disposal, and prefer it for it's familiarity and your personal joy in it, is it any less a legitimate art?

Coming from the perspective of someone who routinely works with teens from a, "broken," environment. They often mastered life using what many would consider broken or insufficient tools. Do we, "fix," these types, or recognize that they have incredible skills that might be adapted to broader uses than the world they originally came from, but need not be discarded or looked down on? How rough can they be before their efforts are universally unacceptable?

Same goes for bonsai. How many of us are working solely with material we can find in the corners of the lawn, or thrown out in the trash bin? Cutting with pocket knives and kitchen shears, potting in hubcaps or old pots? I've always been a proponent on this forum to use the tree you find. Don't hack it up and try to make it something other than what it naturally wanted to be. If you can't find the beauty in every tree, no matter how strange it may be to you, than do you really care for your trees?

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Me being THAT guy... again. (I might have a problem.)

Taking the figurative and literal meaning of, 'tool,' if the first thing a budding musician found to play was that three-stringed guitar, taught themselves everything on that three-stringed guitar, and performed successfully and got paid with that three-stringed guitar, how awful would it be for them and their audience personally, professionally, artistically, etc. to force them to play a brand new, high end, fully strung guitar?

Put another way; your example suggests that a master of the fully functional as intended guitar can play even a broken guitar. When you master the broken thing first, i.e. the incomplete tool set or improvised tools at your disposal, and prefer it for it's familiarity and your personal joy in it, is it any less a legitimate art?

Coming from the perspective of someone who routinely works with teens from a, "broken," environment. They often mastered life using what many would consider broken or insufficient tools. Do we, "fix," these types, or recognize that they have incredible skills that might be adapted to broader uses than the world they originally came from, but need not be discarded or looked down on? How rough can they be before their efforts are universally unacceptable?

Same goes for bonsai. How many of us are working solely with material we can find in the corners of the lawn, or thrown out in the trash bin? Cutting with pocket knives and kitchen shears, potting in hubcaps or old pots? I've always been a proponent on this forum to use the tree you find. Don't hack it up and try to make it something other than what it naturally wanted to be. If you can't find the beauty in every tree, no matter how strange it may be to you, than do you really care for your trees?
I think the 3-string musician should keep crafting 3-string guitars.. with longer/differing necks and varying reverberation chambers. ;)

I had this guy playing bass for a worship team I once lead (different life ;) ) who grew up in Appalachia... learned how to play “Bass” by stringing cords he found around an old Flamenco-style acoustic. He knew NOTHING of guitar besides that it was supposed to be an instrument... so far removed.. had never SEEN a guitar played... or a photo.. he stopped stringing at 4 strings because “no more rope’d fit on dere”... played with BOTH of his hands from the TOP.. it looked.. different... but THEN... he started playing.. a phenomenal musician.
🤓
Aaanyways.. ‘bout the kids..

I believe it’s possible to take advantage of those “mechanisms” developed out of “bare necessity” and circumstance... HOWEVER, separating the benefits from the association is important.. actually of UTMOST importance.

Retaining WHO they are through learned behaviors makes their journey unique.. but the previously mentioned “separation” will be very difficult for children in “the magic years”... but their SITUATIONS will have to have CHANGED.. or else the association will always be there...

But considering a slightly older child, I would assume, utilizing what I know of DevoPsych, a more direct approach could be taken... and the benefits could still be accessed, EVEN if they still are “in the fire”.. because a broader world perspective is developed directly following “the magic years”...

...if that makes sense..

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
(A little afraid we might do to this guy what we just did to the magnet thread. LOL But so much fun!)

You're not wrong. The biggest issue I keep running into with helping these students is that our curriculum is built by middle class decent folk wanting to help, but in the exact same way they would build it for students from their same background. Because politics of the education bureaucracy.
I came to it from a communications background vs their education background, so I immediately think of how we might adapt the curriculum to the new audience and organically imbed data gathering systems to inform later iterations. Essentially, it's hard to get someone who's never left their town to care about geography if you can't get it to a level they DO care about first. Not getting far. Because politics of the bureaucracy.
Apparently they can't see how presenting the same material in a different way will meet the legislated standards. Because bureaucracy.

Did I mention I hate politics... and bureaucracy?

Top Bottom