Top 3 bonsai states in us?

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
I'm curious what are the top 3 bonsai states in the us and why? This is a subjective question, base it off what u feel is appropriate. In what order would u put them in?

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
I can assure you Oklahoma is at least 48 or 49, bonsai here is almost non-existent, only two clubs, one in Tulsa and one here in Oklahoma City, and we have twenty members. We do however put on a nice show every year and draw about 3 hundred visitors. I would be doing bonsai, if I were the only one !

keep it green,
Harry

crhabq

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
New Mexico rates so high on things that it's bad to rate high on that I'm surprised that we haven't been nominated for the worst top five states for bonsai. However, there is a small but active club here in Albuquerque though. Where I live was made for junipers and probably for most pines too (although pines still scare me-the knowledge to get started, the time frame). We can even grow japanese maple (with shade) and other D-trees. However, the top three states? The PNW states appear to be the top states with the exception of Florida (but only if you want to grow tropicals, and honestly if you live outside of FLA, why would you?).
Just my opinion.
Ray

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
1. Southern Cal.
2. Central Cal.
3. Northern Cal.

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
1. Southern Cal.
2. Central Cal.
3. Northern Cal.

Start growing seaweed so you can still practice bonsai on the Great California Reef when you slip into the ocean.:p

NY in the (nut)HOUSE!!!

Dave

Just Duane

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Theres a string of 8 islands in the pacific & 5 of them islands jam packed with bonsai =)
808 State HAWAII

Reaction score
Though I'm from Rhode Island, I would nominate Massachusetts in the top 5 at least. Up until last year, they had Nick Lenz, Suthin Sukosolvisit and Colin Lewis as residents (Colin has since moved to the boonies of Maine); 3 great nurseries; and the oldest collection of bonsai from Japan in the US at the Arnold Arboretum; numerous very good clubs, etc, etc. I would have to say California is definitely tops, though.
John Romano
RI - the shohin state

shohin kid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
California, but CA has the highest population, totaling about 11-12% of the entire country. Which means there are more people their to like bonsai. :)

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'd have to nominate PA to hold the second or third position, leaving the top position to the undisputed leader CA.

With at least 8 quality bonsai nurseries and/or outlets, and the home of countless clubs and Associations their is a strong bonsai presence in the keystone state. I attribute a lot of this to PA's climate. Its a unique growing zone where almost any species can be grown and be within its climate tolerance range(barring Tropicals). Example...just cold enough to grow Larch but warm enough to support Cedar Elms or not worry about winter for JBP

roelex14

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
UHHH nope Nevada

well i guess we have the expo in chicago every year... that must count for something...
but that is just one weekend a year... im pretty sure if you dont live in the top 10 states or so, its gonna feel like #50 no matter what:(

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
It's not that subjective.

Checking the American Bonsai Society website, California has 35 clubs. Florida has 24. Pennsylvania and New York have 9. Illinois and Ohio have 8. Oregon and Michigan have 7. Virginia has 6. Arizona, Colorado, Hawaii, Lousiana, Maryland, Massachussetts, Washington and Wisconsin (!) have 5. All the rest have fewer than that. Some have none.

I'd assume the number of clubs indicates the number of bonsaiests. I also assume there are clubs in some states that have no affiliation with the ABS -- but not that many.

Last edited:

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It's not that subjective.

Checking the American Bonsai Society website, California has 35 clubs. Florida has 24. Pennsylvania and New York have 9. Illinois and Ohio have 8. Oregon and Michigan have 7. Virginia has 6. Arizona, Colorado, Hawaii, Lousiana, Maryland, Massachussetts, Washington and Wisconsin (!) have 5. All the rest have fewer than that. Some have none.

I'd assume the number of clubs indicates the number of bonsaiests. I also assume there are clubs in some states that have no affiliation with the ABS -- but not that many.

Actually Maryland has 10, not 5.

The assumption (IMO) that clubs indicate the strength of enthusiasts in any one state is wrong. It maybe a generally loose indicator, but I know many that don't belong to a club because they don't want to deal with the political BS that can be involved. So they choose to stay sequestered and practice on their own.

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
Fromm what you all have said it appears that population density and average income are high on the list of determining factors. The entire county of El Paso has close to 800,000 people but NO bonsai of any soer ( unless you count me ) where as Albuquerque has a smaller population but a considerable higher average income and they do have a club. If you find an area with a large population density and high average income you'll probably find bonsai enthuists ( sp ? ). That doesn't mean bonsai is an expensive hobby , it really isn't but a certain level of financial stability/leasure time seem to be good fertalizer for the hobby.

Using my criteria , California has to be the leader. Second and third would probably ne in the NE or upper mid west.so Pennsylvania and New York as well as Illinois must be in the running. All I know for sure is that West Texas ( being functionally a seperate state ) must be last.

Top Bottom