Top 5 Personal Bonsai Collections in the U.S.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Not trying to start a flame war-hope to keep this light hearted, but i'm curious to know who you think would be in the running for current top five personal bonsai collections in the U.S- in no particular order. Obviously this is super subjective and there are ton's of variables, but it's just fun to hear who you might consider. A few I was thinking of:

Who else might be thrown in the mix?
*Ryan Neil
*Boon
*Michael Haggedorn
*Jim Gremel
*Randy Knight
*Bill Valavanis

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Don't forget me. I should be somewhere on the top 3.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Don't forget:

Doug Paul, the Kennett Collection
Dan Robinson, Elandan Gardens
Wayerhauser Collection (think its private)

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Obviously you can only put down a name of people that "people know".

Most of the best trees in America are from people you don't know.

Some of my picks:

Jo Blow
C. Mor Butts
Mr. Competely
and my favorite
I.P. Freely

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
But....if you wish to keep it real how about:

Suthin Suksolvist
Kathy Shaner
Scott Elsor
Kenji Miyata
Jim Barrett
Ernie Kuo
Lindsey Shiba
Roy Nagatoshi
Frank Bardella
John Kirby
Katsumi Kinoshita
Inga Woefle
Tim Kong

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One of the largest and best looking collections in the USA, which is scattered all over the USA via Jim Barrett, Ernie Kuo and Boon belonged to the late Umenori Hatanaka.

Gene Deci

Shohin
Reaction score
I don't know how many he still has but some of my favorite trees of all time are Nick Lenz creations.

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Methinks this thread needs more pics :)

Lancaster

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
The Kennett Collection is absolutely breathtaking. I have not seen the others that some speak of in person, only in pics.

But I know that MOST people would love to have some of Doug Paul's throw-aways!

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I've seen a good number of the above mentioned collections- some of which aren't quite so private- and they are all excellent. There are a number of collections that are absolutely private that equal or rival the ones mentioned above. I know that some of the people mentioned above work on a few of them. I know of one here in Los Angeles that would be equal to some of the best on the list but is seen only by the owner and those he chooses to share it with. I doubt you'll seen many photos of collections like those.

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
I don't know how many he still has but some of my favorite trees of all time are Nick Lenz creations.
Nick has dispersed 98% of his collection in the last few years--Scores of them he sold. He gave many away to his students--I got a few of his rejects. He still is a passionate teacher but no longer slaves over a large collection. He actually has time to paint a bit lately.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've seen a good number of the above mentioned collections- some of which aren't quite so private- and they are all excellent. There are a number of collections that are absolutely private that equal or rival the ones mentioned above. I know that some of the people mentioned above work on a few of them. I know of one here in Los Angeles that would be equal to some of the best on the list but is seen only by the owner and those he chooses to share it with. I doubt you'll seen many photos of collections like those.

Yea...guys like Kenny Lam... John Wang...Tak Shimazu and David Nguy. Best trees I have ever seen.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I would've said Dale Cochoy before he sold most of his :(

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yenling, I wonder if you'd allow the question to change now, to the best "public" collections. It would be nice to see what is on that list. And where collections are that I don't know about and could visit.
I could start of course with these-

National Collection in DC
Pacific Rim Collection in Seattle

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Judy,

The Staples Collection at the North Carolina Arboretum in Asheville is an excellent Public Collection. It is a day's drive (or less) from most of Ohio and worth the trip.

Regards,
Martin

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yenling, I wonder if you'd allow the question to change now, to the best "public" collections. It would be nice to see what is on that list. And where collections are that I don't know about and could visit.
I could start of course with these-

National Collection in DC
Pacific Rim Collection in Seattle

Not to split hairs, but Yenling did say "Personal" , not private, and I interpreted that to mean "personally owned" as opposed to corporately- / business- / government-owned, and could include both publicly displayed collections as well as private collections...

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Not to split hairs, but Yenling did say "Personal" , not private, and I interpreted that to mean "personally owned" as opposed to corporately- / business- / government-owned, and could include both publicly displayed collections as well as private collections...

Yes Daygan. I did notice that, but I thought since we seem to have exhausted the person names, I thought I'd ask Yenling if he'd allow the question to change to public collections. If I offended you or Yenling, I apologize.

Top Bottom