Top layer Sphagnum Moss To keep roots moist Amur maple Infested with G nets best insecticide to use

Elyah

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Recommendation for an insecticide to get rid of these Gnats

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just gnats outdoors does not really seem worrysome. Seems everytime I use insecticide the tree acts strange the following year.I just like fungicide on a regular basis.
I am going ti use water squirt for the usual pest I see

Elyah

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Unless they are some kind of aphid or something,just replace the orchid spahgnum
I didn't think it was worrisome but there is a lot of them it has rained a lot where I'm at.Based on your experience .I Probably won't do nothing .I do have orchard moss just haven't used it yet do you like it better.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The MOSS is "infested" with gnats. They're most likely fungus gnats and are dining on something in the moss. They won't hurt your tree. No reason whatsoever to apply insecticide for the tree's health. They mostly annoying you. They come with the territory on bonsai in warmer weather, particularly if you have moss on any part of the tree, including the top soil...

Elyah

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Sprinkle a bit of ground cinnamon on the moss.
I will try that funny you mention that.just Before seeing your reply I did a Google search and said ground cinnamon. Thanks

Elyah

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The MOSS is "infested" with gnats. They're most likely fungus gnats and are dining on something in the moss. They won't hurt your tree. No reason whatsoever to apply insecticide for the tree's health. They mostly annoying you. They come with the territory on bonsai in warmer weather, particularly if you have moss on any part of the tree, including the top soil...
Yes you are right they are annoying to me. Lol I won't do anything with insecticides. As you mentioned and previous post might try cinnamon very lightly .I wouldn't think it will hurt the tree.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Recommendation for an insecticide to get rid of these Gnats
We have fungus gnats during the wet months that come inside and are a horrible nuisance. I have one instance of their larvae in a Christmas cactus stem, but it may have been rot from overwatering to start. I treat the flower beds around the house with a granular mosquito dunk that is also rated for fungus gnats. It is a bacteria bacillus thuringiensis israelensis and seems to help. I have also seen drenches recommend with mixed hydrogen peroxide or neem products, but I have never tried that.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have also seen drenches recommend with mixed hydrogen peroxide or neem products

I havent used neem, but i had fungus gnats on tropicals in the house last winter. Got rid of them by letting the soil dry out a bit then doing a drench with 4 parts water mixed with one part 3% hydrogen peroxide. Ill probably treat tghe few tropicals ill bring in this year ahead of time the same way. Not worth the effort on outdoor trees though.

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a

Hi rockm,
So I wanted to reply to this post as you said “They won’t hurt your tree”. Maybe they won’t when they are at the life cycle stage of egg or adult fly, but as larvae they consume roots as well as other organic matter (probably the moss etc).
Maybe more of a problem for propagating and/or houseplants.
Just my 2 cents.
Charles

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi rockm,
So I wanted to reply to this post as you said “They won’t hurt your tree”. Maybe they won’t when they are at the life cycle stage of egg or adult fly, but as larvae they consume roots as well as other organic matter (probably the moss etc).
Maybe more of a problem for propagating and/or houseplants.
Just my 2 cents.
Charles
they are not a real concern. had them for years on my trees Just annoying. They are a symptom of constantly soggy soil, or areas of moss in bonsai pots.
As the name indicates these flies are associated with fungi. But, why are they so common around potted plants? Well, it is not because they are feeding on your plants, usually! They are common because their larvae are feeding on the fungi growing in potting media that is too moist or wet, is warm, and in media that is decaying quickly. In other words, it is the over-watering and over-fertilizing of your plants that brings out the best in these cute little flies

and if they're feeding on roots, it's usually dead roots...

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They are beneficial.

Nothing keeps the good bugs around like fungus gnats.
Stupid little flappy wing food bits.

Sorce

Top Bottom