Torreya taxifolia, something i bet you haven't worked with

marcosolo

Mame
Reaction score
If you didn't know, Torreya taxifolia, commonly known as Florida Yew or Florida Cypress, is an endangered conifer endemic to a small patch of forest bordering Georgia's and Florida's south western border. I have been aware of the conservation of this tree for a few years now and have been admiring it from afar (pictures only). It is a member of the Cephalotaxaceae Family, and some still consider it a member of the Taxaceae Family, resembling true yews to a high degree. It's growth habits and needle length seem ideal for bonsai cultivation, but good luck getting a hold of any of these.

It seems this tree is a glacial relic from the last big cold this continent had and is more suited to colder, moister climates than it's current location demonstrates. The theory goes that due to poor dispersal mechanisms this tree wasn't able to relocate it's range to a more suitable climate when the glaciers receded. There are only an estimated 1500 specimens in the wild alive today. I believe some state gardens in NC And SC have a few specimens, and they seem to be doing well there.

I have been conversing with the conservation group responsible for it reallocation, The Torreya Guardians, for the last few weeks and I think they will allow me to procure some seedlings as well as seeds. This is great, but my location it seems is to warm for these beautiful trees. I was wondering, if I do get a hold of said seedlings, would anyone in that NC, SC range be willing to care for these until I am able to care for them properly(I don't plan on staying this South for my entire life), or if I am never able to house them properly, to work with these beautiful trees and make them into a form that can be admired and will help spread the story of their plight and fight for survival?

Obviously I want to know these would be going to good hands, so no novices and only individuals that are willing and capable of taking these little nothings and turning them into something beautiful over the years...

I look forward to hearing from you guys

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sounds like an exciting project. I'm always pleased when the bonsai community promotes conservation. I hope someone is able to help you out.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Perhaps a good way of spreading this species would be to make seeds available rather than the seedlings.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I am in NC and would gladly plant some.

I live in Michigan and would like to see how well they survive in this environment. Bald Cypress,a remnant of the same Ice Age grows well up here.

marcosolo

Mame
Reaction score
I will keep both of you posted if and when they present me with some specimens or seeds.....

marcosolo

Mame
Reaction score
Any updates?

I was denied...They said that it was FRIVOLOUS waste of genes from within such a limited pool......So close though...Looks like I'll have to go and risk imprisonment when digging some wild stock....If I can actually find any.....lol

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I was denied...They said that it was FRIVOLOUS waste of genes from within such a limited pool......So close though...Looks like I'll have to go and risk imprisonment when digging some wild stock....If I can actually find any.....lol

Try some cuttings first. It sounds to me like they (the powers that be) belong to the raised pinky horticultural class that wouldn't know motivated tree people if they were hanged from a tree. These mental giants don't seem to realize that the best way to increase a limited gene pool is to put it into circulation. If the tree turned out to be viable as a landscape tree, and I don't see how it would not, and the nursery industry took an interest in it then you could say by-by to the endangered species list. But NO, these wizards of the green don't want to develop the tree they want to continue to manage it's extinction. Let's hear it for government evolvement where we now have more people on the government dole than actually work. OOPs. Truth hurts?

Last edited:

marcosolo

Mame
Reaction score
Try some cuttings first. It sounds to me like they (the powers that be) belong to the raised pinky horticultural class that wouldn't know motivated tree people if they were hanged from a tree. These mental giants don't seem to realize that the best way to increase a limited gene pool is to put it into circulation. If the tree turned out to be viable as a landscape tree, and I don't see how it would not, and the nursery industry took an interest in it then you could say by-by to the endangered species list. But NO, these wizards of the green don't want to develop the tree they want to continue to manage it's extinction. Let's hear it for government evolvement where we now have more people on the government dole than actually work. OOPs. Truth hurts?

My sentiments exactly....

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
These have been fairly readily available in pots in Native Nurseries in Florida. People have tried to bonsai them, with -- to my eyes -- fairly poor results.

Bald Cypress,a remnant of the same Ice Age grows well up here.

BC + Ice age does NOT compute!

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

Vance,

Did you read on their website that "Torreya Guardians is a self-organized group of naturalists, botanists, ecologists, and others with a deep concern for biodiversity protection, who have chosen to use the internet as a tool for discussing ideas, posting plans, and taking a variety of actions in behalf of our most endangered conifer tree: Torreya taxifolia.

That does reek of the heavy hand of government....

Regards,
Martin

marcosolo

Mame
Reaction score
Vance,

Did you read on their website that "Torreya Guardians is a self-organized group of naturalists, botanists, ecologists, and others with a deep concern for biodiversity protection, who have chosen to use the internet as a tool for discussing ideas, posting plans, and taking a variety of actions in behalf of our most endangered conifer tree: Torreya taxifolia.

That does reek of the heavy hand of government....

Regards,
Martin

They were mean to me....lol...and as to the nursery having stock, could you please point me in the right direction......

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Marcosolo,

I never said there was a nursery with stock.

Regards,
Martin

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Marcosolo,

Google also says that Nearly Native Nursery also has them in 1gl ($28) and 3gl ($95). I did not notice shipping restrictions on their webpage.

Regards,
Martin

marcosolo

Mame
Reaction score
Marcosolo,

Google also says that Nearly Native Nursery also has them in 1gl ($28) and 3gl ($95). I did not notice shipping restrictions on their webpage.

Regards,
Martin

What?????...Damn, I really need to confer with Mr. Google more often.....I appreciate the info and the success at making me look like an ass...Kudos...lol

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Any nursery in North (and probably central) Florida that specializes in native plants -- and that's a big thing in Florida -- will have them.

And Torreya Guardians has NOTHING to do with Govt. Sheesh. Not a black helicopter in the entire group.

Top Bottom