Torulosa 'Hollywood' Juniper

Jeremy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This was one of my first trees 2 years ago which has sat around uninspired. As a newbie I was instantly attracted to this tree, but as I researched more I found there wasnt a great deal of pruning info and how to control the course growth.
I did a first styling about 8 months ago and its been slowly developing mature foliage. With a bit of jin work up top I was aiming for a bunjin style. I soon realised there was too much foliage on the tree and I wouldnt be able to thin it out convincingly.

I decided to work on the tree again today, the top branch had to go in order to give the tree a direction. Shari was added and will allow to heal for a few years before widening.
My biggest issue through all this is Im still unsure to the best way of pruning this species. Ive heard to grow extensions out and cut back, but the growth is very course...?

I can always graft Shimpaku onto it...

Photos from from May '12, December '13, and today

Attachments

• Hollywood Juniper.jpg
    Hollywood Juniper.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 242
  • 20131205_101440 (600x800).jpg
    20131205_101440 (600x800).jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 236
  • DSC_0466 (1280x853).jpg
    DSC_0466 (1280x853).jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 220
  • DSC_0467 (1280x853).jpg
    DSC_0467 (1280x853).jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 242

cascade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Torulosa

The best format for this juniper is a larger tree. The green tuffs need to be wired up, like you would wire a pine. Like in other junipers the top ( apex area) is dominant. When planning out a tree, these two considerations can lead to good results.
For example a branch originating from the top and brought down will work better than a branch from the weaker area, unless you find old material with an established usable first branch.
A larger tree will be more in proportion with the tuffs.

In your case I see a smaller tree. Wire the ends of the foliage up, like you would do with a pine. Let the tree grow until you have enough foliage mass to work with. You will need to consider the future size of the pad. So instead of having two or three distinct layers of foliage pads, you may end with one pad that shows different overlapping levels of greens.

When the time comes to prune the foliage ( flame like growth), cut out the centers with scissors and eliminate unwanted side-shoots.

Keep us posted!

Best,
Dorothy

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have a couple bigger Torulosa that I am grafting with Shimpaku. My plan is to replace/eliminate all the original foliage. Several of the graft already took and growing nicely (some failed). I will keep trying though.

Just another option to consider.

Jeremy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thankyou for the info, Dorothy. I have read your thread on IBC before and its the best info I can come across.
The tree is still only just reverting to mature foliage so I will let it runthis season, hopefully it responds well and I can start the pruning process.

I have a couple bigger Torulosa that I am grafting with Shimpaku. My plan is to replace/eliminate all the original foliage. Several of the graft already took and growing nicely (some failed). I will keep trying though.

Just another option to consider.

Yeah I'm keeping this option in the back of my mind. If I can't tame the beast, I will graft for a more 'superior' foliage.

Jeremy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
15 months on and not a great deal of change. I've been letting it run wild until it developed mature foliage over most of the tree, then lightly trimmed back to side shoots. Some of the jin was shortened but im still unsure how it will eventually end up. There is good callous forming on one side of the shari, the other side is a little slow. It will be cleaned up and widened possibly next year. For now it grows free again

Attachments

• DSC_0114 (1024x683).jpg
    DSC_0114 (1024x683).jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 202

Jeremy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Still persevering. This has got to be one of my slowest growers. Slight turn, bit of a tilt, some wire. Its looking close to how I imagined but the foliage ain't working for the size of the tree. Canopy is too heavy.
I finally got my hands on a Shimpaku, maybe time to start reading up on grafting...

Attachments

• DSC_0152 (1024x683).jpg
    DSC_0152 (1024x683).jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 158

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice.

Sorce

Jeremy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This tree is one of those back of the bench types. I pulled it down today and studied the tree for awhile. Decided to try and simplify the design, some large branches were cut off so more deadwood should be beneficial for the design. Still a long ways to go before it gets more regular attention though.
20200703_135550.jpg

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice job.
Will be watching.
Don't worry it to death.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Sorry I missed this thread first time around.

"Hollywood" juniper is actually the common name of Juniperus chinensis 'Kaizuka'. Because so many were planted in SoCal (and particularly around Hollywood) it became known as the Hollywood juniper. Not sure when it picked up the "Torulosa" sobriquet, though I have seen it described that way about half of the time at nurseries.

Though this plant is a slow grower for you, Hollywood juniper is probably the strongest, largest and fastest growing Chinese juniper cultivar. It is particularly known for its growth habit, which gives it a wind-blown, tortured appearance, even with no selective pruning - and no wind :) I had a couple in my landscape... and have a pre-bonsai I have been working on.

hollywood.jpg

Because of its size and strength, it is a difficult subject for bonsai unless you are keeping a larger tree. The mature foliage is leggy and spindly and tough to maintain in a compact form. They do best in full sun which helps keep the growth compact.

I really like this tree and what you have done with it. However don't forget the gold rule of junipers - their strength is directly related to foliage mass. By keeping the foliage tightly pruned, you are slowing the growth of this tree down to a crawl. I know you have to do this in order to keep the foliage in scale with your design... but you may have picked the wrong cultivar for a small, delicate tree. This is a little like trying to keep a shohin Coast Redwood :) If you let the growth run free for one season, you would allow the foliage mass to bulk up, with a corresponding increase in root mass and overall tree strength. However the downside will be that the tree might grow past your design scale. It might be worth it just to see this tree in its full strength glory :)

(Photo of healthy Hollywood juniper foliage)
hollywood2.jpg

Last edited:

Jeremy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Bonsai Nut i really shouldve taken some before pics prior to working on the tree. Over the 4 years between updates i was able to get rid of all the old potting mix and get it into a more larger size substrate and the growth has been much better. Substantial thickening occurred in the branches while happily sitting on the back burner. You are right though, i believe it will be a constant battle to retain this style. I will enjoy it for a little while longer whilst i try to acquire some shimpaku whips and change the foliage over. I think this tree is a case of sentimental value for me so im not ready to give up entirely

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I think this tree is a case of sentimental value for me so im not ready to give up entirely

I wouldn't give up, nor would I graft it (personally). This is a small tree and you could buy a shimpaku for not much $$$ to style in a similar fashion if you are set on having a tree with that particular design.

This is just a different tree. Rather than force a style on the tree that doesn't particularly suit it, I would let the tree be itself, and style it in a fashion that suits the tree. I hope I didn't come off as negative - I love Hollywood junipers. I am already on the prowl for several to plant in landscape here. I just think they work best as larger bonsai.

Top Bottom