Tosho or no Tosho?

Quince

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
image.jpg image.jpg
I collected this juniper growing about 200 feet from my back door. At first I assumed that it was a squirrel plant from J. Communis seed I collected a few years ago, but now that I have handled it the junipers looking and feeling :eek: more like J. rigida, the Japanese Needle Juniper. Either way it's going to take pretty intensive aftercare as it was growing inches off my neighbors foundation in very dry soil, so few feeder roots in the top 10". I'm planing to keep it in a sheltered spot, maybe 3 hours of sun, and misting twice per day. Anything else I should be doing to increase chances of survival?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I am a big believer in humidity tents to protect from wind and reduce the pressure on the new/weak roots. Another "trick" I have use to good effect is that when transplanting large landscape junipers in the wrong season, you can cover the foliage in burlap (single layer) and it accomplishes more or less the same thing - wind protection / sun protection. When you water, the burlap will stay moist for a couple of hours and (at least I believe) keep the relative humidity a little higher by the foliage.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I definitely wouldn't tent it. It looks fine.

Quince

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks for the feedback guys. I had a small needle juniper up until last summer. Never remember it setting seed though. I will deffinitly try the burlap humidity tent thing. I have access to a spot with more sun, but I hesitate to place a burlap covered juniper out were I could offend someone.

Quince

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I definitely wouldn't tent it. It looks fine.
Just saw your post. Do you think wrapping it could be harmful. I ask because the photo was taken within 12 hours of collection and may be a reflection of it's pre-collection health.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Just keep it well misted. Timing is good, tosho are repotted last in Japan.

Top Bottom