Tough year for local coast live oaks

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The drought has stressed the local coast live oak forest for sure, but now we've had a massive crop of oak moth larvae. Much of my local forest looks like this:

oak 24Sep22.jpg

That's an evergreen oak! In a normal year the oak moth damage is just cosmetic. I'm worried this year will be different.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've pulled dozens of caterpillars off my potted oaks, but I can monitor those and they get regular water.

Good news is that we got an unexpected rainfall in September - an unheard of two inches of rain! At least some of the forest oaks are pushing new leaves. Hope that tides them over until we get some regular winter rains.

Reaction score
Weather modding or Geoengineering.
If you dont know what geoengineering is...well then, you bloody well should (the technology has been in development since WWII)...thats 80 yrs. Remember, it only took us approx' 100 yrs to go from a primitive glider to a jumbo jet.
There are Govt patents for this technology...just look it up.
They can now produce the rain...and they can also take it away.
They can create extreme weather events and blame it on "climate change". People that dont realise this is happening will believe their gross lies and this is what they rely on...obiedience to the mainstream media naratives through ignorance - (because everything else is just a "conspiracy theory") - see how that works?
They can produce months worth of rain in one downpour.
Australia's food belts, many of which are on the east coast, have been hammered with this weather tech' and it has caused a hell of a lot of damage to many crops and communities (are you also noticing the higher food prices...well, "climate change").
The Govt is going for total control of the food industry (like everything else) and this technology is an absolute gift for these whackos as people will think its "climate change" whilst the Govt rubs its hands together in glee, laughing at our complete ignorance of the actual truth. Its a win win for these maniacs.
You thought covid caused your life grief...wait til you see what they make you do due to "climate change"....good luck,you're going to need it!
The use of this tech has been ramped up significantly over the past 12 months...world wide!
Research either Geoengineering or weather modding to further educate yourself on this subject...there's lots of good info out there (many are Govt docs too).
The truth shall set you free!
I expect some sort of flak for this but hey, sticks and stones and all that jazz...cheers

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Brian, I visited the Bay Area last month (after having moved away last summer), and I was FLABBERGASTED at the widespread tree stress. Just tons and tons of trees that I once admired failing. So sad.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you dont know what geoengineering is...well then, you bloody well should (the technology has been in development since WWII)...thats 80 yrs. Remember, it only took us approx' 100 yrs to go from a primitive glider to a jumbo jet.
They can create extreme weather events and blame it on "climate change". People that dont realise this is happening will believe their gross lies and this is what they rely on...obiedience to the mainstream media naratives through ignorance - (because everything else is just a "conspiracy theory") - see how that works?
Australia's food belts, many of which are on the east coast, have been hammered with this weather tech' and it has caused a hell of a lot of damage to many crops and communities (are you also noticing the higher food prices...well, "climate change").
The Govt is going for total control of the food industry (like everything else) and this technology is an absolute gift for these whackos as people will think its "climate change" whilst the Govt rubs its hands together in glee, laughing at our complete ignorance of the actual truth. Its a win win for these maniacs.
You thought covid caused your life grief...wait til you see what they make you do due to "climate change"....good luck,you're going to need it!
The use of this tech has been ramped up significantly over the past 12 months...world wide!
Research either Geoengineering or weather modding to further educate yourself on this subject...there's lots of good info out there (many are Govt docs too).
I expect some sort of flak for this but hey, sticks and stones and all that jazz...cheers

Happy to see that the US doesn't have a monopoly on conspiracy theorists. Governments have enough trouble doing the basics. Most can't manage to tie their own shoes on a regular basis. There is no all powerful "they".

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Happy to see that the US doesn't have a monopoly on conspiracy theorists. Governments have enough trouble doing the basics. Most can't manage to tie their own shoes on a regular basis. There is no all powerful "they".
I have been in the D.C. region for a very long time. The thought that the federal government can mount some vast conspiracy theory is simply silly. The fed gov still runs COBOL on IRS computers for crying out loud. 😁

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
THanks for posting this link. Very informative.I have many older white oaks in my area (one right outside) that are dying --brown leaves in August, dropped limbs, etc. I chalked it up to repeated drought conditions over the last few years.

LuZiKui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
@BrianBay9 Man, just read an article about how the fog in the bay area is decreasing and that could have huge consequences on the local environment, especially the coastal redwood forests that rely on the fog for moisture to survive. I also read somewhere that the coast live oaks have relatively shallow roots that spread out to cover roughly the size of their canopy. They then rely on moisture in the air to collect on the leaves and drip down to the ground, feeding the roots. It's what allows them to thrive in relatively dry climates.

It's almost like our planet had found a natural equilibrium that allowed life of all sorts to thrive for millions of years and something has changed in the last 150 years to throw everything out of whack (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fossil_fuel#/media/File:CO2_Emissions_by_Source_Since_1880.svg).

Dang, sorry for being debbie downer, back to talking about trees!

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
ORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

it's getting warmer.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Just what THEY want you to think. You're all SHEEP!!

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@BrianBay9 Man, just read an article about how the fog in the bay area is decreasing and that could have huge consequences on the local environment, especially the coastal redwood forests that rely on the fog for moisture to survive. I also read somewhere that the coast live oaks have relatively shallow roots that spread out to cover roughly the size of their canopy. They then rely on moisture in the air to collect on the leaves and drip down to the ground, feeding the roots. It's what allows them to thrive in relatively dry climates.

It's almost like our planet had found a natural equilibrium that allowed life of all sorts to thrive for millions of years and something has changed in the last 150 years to throw everything out of whack (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fossil_fuel#/media/File:CO2_Emissions_by_Source_Since_1880.svg).

Dang, sorry for being debbie downer, back to talking about trees!
There is absolutely no question that the air conditioning business is booming places where it was once thought unnecessary, particularly in Northern Europe, as well as Northern California.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I've seen quite a few sad looking oaks here too. One of my big ones isn't looking great, although the others seem to have fared quite well, luckily. The biggest one (in my profile pic) is doing just fine.

LuZiKui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
@BrianBay9 not to derail the thread but curious if you have any experience starting live oaks from acorn? I’ve read a lot of your stuff on collecting but I haven’t found anywhere (nor am I ready really) to collect. So, I’ve been collecting acorns which I plan on starting. I figure I’ll keep a few and donate some to my club for others to play with.

Do you do anything special as far as stratification? I’ve seen some put them in baggies in the fridge until they start to sprout. Could I just put them in some starter mix since this is their native climate without stratifying?

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@BrianBay9 not to derail the thread but curious if you have any experience starting live oaks from acorn? I’ve read a lot of your stuff on collecting but I haven’t found anywhere (nor am I ready really) to collect. So, I’ve been collecting acorns which I plan on starting. I figure I’ll keep a few and donate some to my club for others to play with.

Do you do anything special as far as stratification? I’ve seen some put them in baggies in the fridge until they start to sprout. Could I just put them in some starter mix since this is their native climate without stratifying?
Personal experience is: put in ground/pot, keep damp, will sprout above ground after semi major root growth when happy with temp. Never a worry about any prep, easiest seeds next to weeds to grow😁.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Agree with Pot. For Quercus agrifolia specifically, no pretreatment is needed. Although I must say success rate is highly variable year to year. Some years I've had everything germinate, yet last year I had three sickly looking sprouts out of a couple of pots full of acorns. Q. agrifolia (coast live oak) and Q. lobata (valley oak) have acorns that germinate in their first winter on the ground, but not all oaks do. Q. wislizeni ( interior live oak) for instances requires two years for germination.

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

Because we have been pumping greenhouse gasses like CO2 and methane into the atmosphere at an increasing rate for basically 150 years.

And now we might need to consider geoengineer in the opposite way by creating artificial clouds to reflect back way more sunlight.
And countries are going to geoengineer to steal each other's rain.

Why do you need to post a message full of spelling errors to claim climate change isn't real because there is a conspiracy theory doing climate change when this 'conspiracy theory' is out of the blue but actually the thing you want to deny?

Top Bottom