Tough year for local coast live oaks

Barefoot Dave

Seedling
Reaction score
Weather modding or Geoengineering.
If you dont know what geoengineering is...well then, you bloody well should (the technology has been in development since WWII)...thats 80 yrs. Remember, it only took us approx' 100 yrs to go from a primitive glider to a jumbo jet.
There are Govt patents for this technology...just look it up.
They can now produce the rain...and they can also take it away.
They can create extreme weather events and blame it on "climate change". People that dont realise this is happening will believe their gross lies and this is what they rely on...obiedience to the mainstream media naratives through ignorance - (because everything else is just a "conspiracy theory") - see how that works?
They can produce months worth of rain in one downpour.
Australia's food belts, many of which are on the east coast, have been hammered with this weather tech' and it has caused a hell of a lot of damage to many crops and communities (are you also noticing the higher food prices...well, "climate change").
The Govt is going for total control of the food industry (like everything else) and this technology is an absolute gift for these whackos as people will think its "climate change" whilst the Govt rubs its hands together in glee, laughing at our complete ignorance of the actual truth. Its a win win for these maniacs.
You thought covid caused your life grief...wait til you see what they make you do due to "climate change"....good luck,you're going to need it!
The use of this tech has been ramped up significantly over the past 12 months...world wide!
Research either Geoengineering or weather modding to further educate yourself on this subject...there's lots of good info out there (many are Govt docs too).
The truth shall set you free!
I expect some sort of flak for this but hey, sticks and stones and all that jazz...cheers
While your are doing your research make sure to look up con-trails, flat earth, science denial, roundup cancer cases, and every other damnable conspiracy theory out there. Fricking wingnuts Ausssies like you are just so ill informed. Go away from the bonsai site and play with you idiot-friend-believers somewhere else.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
@BrianBay9 not to derail the thread but curious if you have any experience starting live oaks from acorn? I’ve read a lot of your stuff on collecting but I haven’t found anywhere (nor am I ready really) to collect. So, I’ve been collecting acorns which I plan on starting. I figure I’ll keep a few and donate some to my club for others to play with.

Do you do anything special as far as stratification? I’ve seen some put them in baggies in the fridge until they start to sprout. Could I just put them in some starter mix since this is their native climate without stratifying?
I have started quite a few over the past couple years. They are VERY easy. Look for the ones that are either freshly fallen or easily removed from the cap. I've read the ones that are a mix of brown to green color are perfect.

With no stratification at all, I have stuck them in varying types of soil, from gardening soil to bonsai soil, and they all sprout just fine.

They sprout up very quickly, much faster than Valley Oaks.

NOTE: I have found that pruning the taproot after the first year will kill them. Also, just repotting when they are young will likely kill them. So, plant in a place where you expect to let it grow for quite some time. How long? I'm not yet sure. I think it takes them several years before they start to put out more radial roots rather than just a super deep tap root, so I think that's the key.

EDIT: Yes, do keep them covered with chicken wire or something. The squirrels will dig the acorns right out of the soil.

I hope that helps and you grow some beautiful oaks!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A lot of trees here looking stressed and some dieing from the heat and lack of rain this summer

LuZiKui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I have started quite a few over the past couple years. They are VERY easy. Look for the ones that are either freshly fallen or easily removed from the cap. I've read the ones that are a mix of brown to green color are perfect.

With no stratification at all, I have stuck them in varying types of soil, from gardening soil to bonsai soil, and they all sprout just fine.

They sprout up very quickly, much faster than Valley Oaks.

NOTE: I have found that pruning the taproot after the first year will kill them. Also, just repotting when they are young will likely kill them. So, plant in a place where you expect to let it grow for quite some time. How long? I'm not yet sure. I think it takes them several years before they start to put out more radial roots rather than just a super deep tap root, so I think that's the key.

EDIT: Yes, do keep them covered with chicken wire or something. The squirrels will dig the acorns right out of the soil.

I hope that helps and you grow some beautiful oaks!
Awesome, thanks for the info. I've read many of your coast live oak posts as well so thank you for your previous posts.

I'm curious, have you tried any of these rootmaker type pots?

I came across a youtube video of a guy growing oaks (I think it was more for tree purposes not bonsai purposes) and he used these and said it helped to prevent the tap root from going too crazy.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Yes, when young they seem particularly sensitive. I killed several by just untangling and repotting (no root pruning) after the first year of growth. Need at least two seasons (better three) before it's safe to repot. Touchiest seedlings I've ever seen.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I'm curious, have you tried any of these rootmaker type pots?

I came across a youtube video of a guy growing oaks (I think it was more for tree purposes not bonsai purposes) and he used these and said it helped to prevent the tap root from going too crazy.
No I haven't tried anything like that. All of mine are planted in 1 gallon pots or larger, with the exception of 2.

I tried to transplant those 2 in the spring that had been growing for a year, and the taproots had begun circling the bottoms of the pots. I pruned the circling part of the roots and they died shortly thereafter.

Maybe this fall I'll try something like that and we'll see what happens. I have approximately 50 billion acorns to work with. 😆

Reaction score
While your are doing your research make sure to look up con-trails, flat earth, science denial, roundup cancer cases, and every other damnable conspiracy theory out there. Fricking wingnuts Ausssies like you are just so ill informed. Go away from the bonsai site and play with you idiot-friend-believers somewhere else.
All the classics...contrails, flat earth, science denial, roundup cancer etc...you forgot "take yor meds"
Your behaviour is telling. I know this will be difficult for you but try growing up and learn to control your childish outbursts (its a sign of a low IQ).
I havnt continued to post about geoengineering in OP's thread as a sign of respect (i didnt push it as i dont roll that way)...I said what i had to say and then left it alone.
You, on the other hand had some weird need to crawl out of your own arse and have a verbal fit all over the thread.
Maybe you should take your meds...or is it substance abuse?

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Pity, another lost person! It is amazing how people can so easily be brain washed by conspiracy and they call us sheep, lol, they are the absolute definition of sheep, flocking around together being easily manipulated by a conspiracy movement, how ironic.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Unfortunately I don't think I can collect near here this year. The smaller oaks might be able to push new leaves, but I doubt that they'd have any reserves left to recover from a collection. I'll wait a year, and hope that next summer is not as hard on them as this one has been.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The record setting wet winter we've had has certainly perked up the forest. Most of the large number of defoliated oaks are budding out strongly. Notice the ones marked. Normally they'd be green be they were completely defoliated this summer/autumn. Now you can probably make out the budding all over. Great to see. Thankful for the rain.

CLO forest.jpg

CLO 1.jpg

Emanon

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
[...] Governments have enough trouble doing the basics. Most can't manage to tie their own shoes on a regular basis. There is no all powerful "they".
Funny. I just finished watching clips of the Castle Bravo nuclear explosion last night when I was trying to fall asleep. How quickly people forget what can be accomplished when you get enough smart people in a room led by a motivated and well funded government. Go check out the clips. It's scary but also awe inspiring what a government could do. They could have changed life on earth as we know it, and almost did, with their nuclear program. After seeing that and really thinking through the consequences it's hard to put anything beyond the reach of government. Some people also believe the U.S. government was able to coordinate a space program that resulted in a human being actually setting foot on the earth's moon.

Last edited:

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
So its all fake news then 😂🤣🤣

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Funny. I just finished watching clips of the Castle Bravo nuclear explosion last night when I was trying to fall asleep. How quickly people forget what can be accomplished when you get enough smart people in a room led by a motivated and well funded government. Go check out the clips. It's scary but also awe inspiring what a government could do. They could have changed life on earth as we know it, and almost did, with their nuclear program. After seeing that and really thinking through the consequences it's hard to put anything beyond the reach of government. Some people also believe the U.S. government was able to coordinate a space program that resulted in a human being actually setting foot on the earth's moon.
chris-farley.gif

Top Bottom