Tourniquet Method | Colorado Blue Spruce

Ryan820

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hello--

I have a fairly substantial spruce here in colorado (it is also a colorado spruce and not just because I'm IN colorado) that sadly has some bad reverse taper. The trunk was against something (perhaps a neighbor tree's root?) and the tree sort of grew around it. Anyway, it is ruining the potential for this tree completely.

I don't know of layering working well for spruces in general but wonder what you fine folks may suggest on how to create a new root structure for this tree? In my reading I came across the tourniquet method. I have space to plant this tree in the ground and would like to understand whether or not the tourniquet method would be suitable for establishing new roots or even if it is possible to use this method (or any other method) to grow new roots.

The trunk is roughly 5 inches wide and sucks in to 4 below the previous soul level on one side (the other sides seem good to me!). It seems to be a tree of good health and while it seems a little early yet for spruces here, the buds are swelling a bit.

Looking for advice on how to proceed-- so let me have it :) Thanks!

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A picture is a priority here. What are we fighting for here, killer material or Christmas tree top?

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I would just do it and learn in the process, but i think you want good advice so you'll need to make a picture.

Top Bottom