Toyo Nishiki Clump #1203

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Tree today. I normally don't cut back like this my quinces this time of year but I'm going on vacation. Worried someone might not water my tree adequately.
20190714_083333.jpg

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looking good. Regarding pot size, how big is the current colander? You should be able to drastically reduce the roots, since colanders tend to make a mass of fine feeder roots near the trunk.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Looking good. Regarding pot size, how big is the current colander? You should be able to drastically reduce the roots, since colanders tend to make a mass of fine feeder roots near the trunk.
Thanks, Stan. It's 14 inches wide and 4 inches deep. Today, I just got a free cheap square Chinese pot from a cousin. It's about 8 inches wide and 3 inches deep. It's not ideal, but it's a pot that might work for a while.

20191103_195210.jpg

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
I understand you did a chop and stuff but how do people get material like this ?

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I meant like actually where to buy the not chopped tree .
You have to search high and low, and if you found one it would not be cheap. This thread started back in 2016 so we're going on 5 yrs of growing and training to get it where it is today. Who knows how long @thumblessprimate1 had it before he started this thread. If you can start collecting smaller plants now to grow them out in 10yrs you'll have a lot of good stock to play with.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Oh nice I didn’t know that they would have like them . I’m waiting till they get stuff in
My local nursery couldn't get Toyo Nishiki in. But have been able to order a lot for me when they place their spring orders. If you have something specific in mind. Call ahead and ask if they can get it in.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I meant like actually where to buy the not chopped tree .

You can buy already developed trunk from bonsai growers, and they will have a hefty price tag. Or you can do like many of us, buy more slender stock, from regular landscape nurseries and big box store nurseries and put a decade of time into thickening up the trunk.

Key to thickening up the trunk is to let the shrub grow. The more leaves a trunk supports, the quicker the diameter of the trunk will increase. You can size up flowering quince in nursery pots, bigger pots will get pretty good growth, think 5 gallon and 10 gallon pots. Or you can put them in the ground.

At the big box stores, you are not likely to find 'Toyo Nishiki' though sometimes it turns up. Look for 'Scarlet Double Take' at Home Depot or Menards, it is a very nice, velvet red double flower. It has no thorns and it blooms in spring and reblooms nicely later in the year. .

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
You can buy already developed trunk from bonsai growers, and they will have a hefty price tag. Or you can do like many of us, buy more slender stock, from regular landscape nurseries and big box store nurseries and put a decade of time into thickening up the trunk.

Key to thickening up the trunk is to let the shrub grow. The more leaves a trunk supports, the quicker the diameter of the trunk will increase. You can size up flowering quince in nursery pots, bigger pots will get pretty good growth, think 5 gallon and 10 gallon pots. Or you can put them in the ground.

At the big box stores, you are not likely to find 'Toyo Nishiki' though sometimes it turns up. Look for 'Scarlet Double Take' at Home Depot or Menards, it is a very nice, velvet red double flower. It has no thorns and it blooms in spring and reblooms nicely later in the year. .
Thanks for writing this. I will definitely be going to every nursery in my area and see what they have this spring .

Top Bottom