Toyo Nishiki Flowering Quince

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is the back of my Toyo Nishiki flowering quince. For the purpose of displaying flowers, the back has become the front, at least for this year.

The origins of this bonsai happened in 2000, when a cutting I got from Brent Walston suckered. In 2001, I divided the suckers from the parent.

I hope you enjoy the flowers.

4497996987_1fe8ac1e2e.jpg

cquinn

Shohin
Reaction score
Beautiful photography!

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice quince. Thanks for sharing.

Just out of curiosity, it looks like you have red flowers mixed in with white and pink. Did you graft branches from different stock with red flowers onto your tree? From Brent's website, it seems like this is often what is done. My toyo nishiki flowered like crazy this year, but unfortunately only had white and pink flowers.

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, I fused a couple of red cuttings in. One red Toyo Nishiki cutting I had been working with for about 5 years on its own, and those are the red flowers you see. There is another red cutting, at the right end as you look at the posted picture, but last spring and summer were very poor growing seasons here and that is the weakest one. I pinched off the single flower bud in hopes of encouraging some growth.

According to Brent's latest (or at least, the latest statement I've read), the red flowers do appear on their own after about 50 years. I can't afford to wait that long. I would be about 110.

cquinn & milehigh_7, thanks for your comments.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, I fused a couple of red cuttings in. One red Toyo Nishiki cutting I had been working with for about 5 years on its own, and those are the red flowers you see. There is another red cutting, at the right end as you look at the posted picture, but last spring and summer were very poor growing seasons here and that is the weakest one. I pinched off the single flower bud in hopes of encouraging some growth.

According to Brent's latest (or at least, the latest statement I've read), the red flowers do appear on their own after about 50 years. I can't afford to wait that long. I would be about 110.

cquinn & milehigh_7, thanks for your comments.

Looks like you did a great job - I love it. I'm a bit younger than you, but I agree about waiting 50 years. :eek:

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
From what I understand, the occurrence of the red is sort of by chance and rather rare. That is why Brent offers the Red only I believe so that a person can put a red branch where they want it by grafting.

I cut mine back pretty hard this year so I will let you know next year what mine do.

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is the front of this bonsai, the designed front. You can see that it is a roots-connected style tree, rather than the usual clump. You can also see that while I had the front clearly in mind, the tree had a different front in mind, because almost all the flowers are in back.

4500295189_8ec80e264b.jpg

Brent

Mame
Reaction score
I love 'Toyo Nishiki' and have been fascinated by it for years. One of the fun things about running a nursery is that you get to see thousands of individual plants and can spot new mutations. I am always on the lookout for new forms of this quince. Eventhough all my plants are cutting grown, this cultivar is quite variable. Several years ago, I spotted this individual that is an "improved" form of 'Toyo Nishiki'. I need to watch it for a few more years, but it appears to be a true 3 color cultivar rather than just showing the third (red) color only on a separate phenotypic branch. I hope to introduce 'Toyo Nishiki Improved' in three or four years.

Brent

Attachments

• 2370-001.jpg
    2370-001.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 76

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I hope to introduce 'Toyo Nishiki Improved' in three or four years.

Brent

That's exciting news! I'm looking forward to it.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Great photo Fred! Love the flowers against the black background.

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks, Brian.

And Brent, I'm really interested in this new cultivar. It sounds very exciting.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Brent, you need to take a look this Toyo Nishiki. I really like it. My teacher said he would air-layer it for me this year. Bonhe

Attachments

• DSC_1217.jpg
    DSC_1217.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC_1214.jpg
    DSC_1214.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC_1215.jpg
    DSC_1215.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC_1218.jpg
    DSC_1218.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 35

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
This is awesome Brent and Bonhe. First, it is great to see you posting Brent :D I hope you are feeling well. I just so love these flowers and all the quince I have purchased from you are doing well Brent.

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
That's a very pretty variety Bonhe. It's like a satsuki! You have got to get some cuttings of that for me too, please.:)
Si

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's a very pretty variety Bonhe. It's like a satsuki! You have got to get some cuttings of that for me too, please.:)
Si

Hi Si, we have same thought. I like it because its flower just likes satsuki to which I can't raise in my area. Yesterday, I found it had a sucker with trunk diameter is about 0.5 cm, so I asked my teacher, and he dug it up and gave it to me :) . Hopefully it will survive. Surely I will get you some cutting later on. Bonhe

Top Bottom