Toyo Nishiki Got Out of Control

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
We have a similar, out of control old quince on the farm. The color is interesting, It shades between deep red and pinkish red. It is definitely not 'Toyo Nishiki', I suspect it might be 'Minerva' which was a fairly common in the trade quince when this would have been planted, about 1960.

Every year I dig up half a dozen suckers, get 'em established and give them away at the Milwaukee Bonsai Society meetings.

IMG_20160423_182057_266 (2019_10_20 19_42_16 UTC).jpg DSCN4170 (2019_10_20 19_42_16 UTC).jpg IMG_20160423_181953_796 (2019_10_20 19_42_16 UTC).jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yes, I have a couple in the ground, fattening up, and other than bamboo, I never had anything spread like these do.
CW
Nothin spreads like bamboo. I'm in zone 5b, which for most bamboo is north enough that they are not the "monsters" they could be in a warmer climate. Still, after believing it was well behaved for 20 years, I woke up to realize it has creeped out of the bed and is now under my front porch and coming up on the other side of the house. Yikes.

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nothin spreads like bamboo. I'm in zone 5b, which for most bamboo is north enough that they are not the "monsters" they could be in a warmer climate. Still, after believing it was well behaved for 20 years, I woke up to realize it has creeped out of the bed and is now under my front porch and coming up on the other side of the house. Yikes.
Bamboo is the devil! We had a bamboo forest on the back of our yard. It was cool at first but it just kept growing. We finally cut it all down. Some had 6" trunks and were 30' tall. I am now playing whack - a - mole with the shoots that want to pop back up.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Bamboo is the devil! We had a bamboo forest on the back of our yard. It was cool at first but it just kept growing. We finally cut it all down. Some had 6" trunks and were 30' tall. I am now playing whack - a - mole with the shoots that want to pop back up.

The shoots are good eating, If you catch them while short and tender. I have Phyllostachys aureosulcata, Yellow Groove Bamboo. It never gets taller than 18 feet for me, about 1 inch diameter. In spring, out of bounds shoots are picked, like asparagus. Peel the hard sheath leaves off, to expose the tender shoot. Lightly steam, and enjoy. All Phyllostachys bamboo species are edible. Some are so sweet, they can be eaten raw, like P. dulcis, P. aureosulcata & P. atrovaginata. Some like P. edulis have some bitterness, need to be blanched, or boiled with a change of water. If there is no bitterness, it is safe to eat.

Top Bottom