Toyo Nishiki Quince Clump

Brian Van Fleet

Imperial Masterpiece
USDA Zone
7B
Dug last fall after 6-7 years in the ground. its in full bloom right now, in an Aiba Koyo pot.
The last photo has an upper-right branch photoshopped out...

Attachments

coh

Masterpiece
USDA Zone
Looks great! Did you leave it in the ground for all those years, or did you dig it to do root work a couple of times? I put one in the ground two years ago and am waiting for it to take off.

Chris

USDA Zone
Very nice toyo nishiki, Brian. It's very compact. Long internodes are a killer with these quince, and you've really done well constraining unwanted growth. I struggled with one for years and never got mine to look right. Congratulations. I know how difficult it is to do this.

I was reading about Japanese maples in this article, Maple (Acer) Theory, Bvjorvala talks about reducing leaves to allow light and air into the trees interior. Don't you think this is a good idea for the Japanese quince or any deciduous tree in general? I was thinking about doing this on my own quince soon as the foliage is so dense; bugs and fungus just might get comfy when they find a place to settle.

http://bjorvalabonsaistudio.com/2012/05/23/maple-acer-theory/

I was reading about Japanese maples in this article, Maple (Acer) Theory, Bvjorvala talks about reducing leaves to allow light and air into the trees interior. Don't you think this is a good idea for the Japanese quince or any deciduous tree in general? I was thinking about doing this on my own quince soon as the foliage is so dense; bugs and fungus just might get comfy when they find a place to settle.

http://bjorvalabonsaistudio.com/2012/05/23/maple-acer-theory/
Yes I remove big leaves to assist with internal budding. Mine is a speciosa so I often remove these leaves and just the half moon stipules remain.

Hi, Brian. How's your quince doing? Have you faced any challenges with ramifiying the branches? Do you do a partial defoliation and some cutting back?

Brian Van Fleet

Imperial Masterpiece
USDA Zone
7B
Hi, Brian. How's your quince doing? Have you faced any challenges with ramifiying the branches? Do you do a partial defoliation and some cutting back?
It's fine. Not great ramification, but when a few shoots get out of control, I just trim them back. As usual, the leaves are looking rough by this time of year. It's pretty in the spring, but I'll move it into a plastic pot and sell it at some point. Just too many trees!

Attachments

Adair M

Imperial Masterpiece
USDA Zone
7a
Yep. It's like an Ume... Your pride and joy for two weeks out of the year, back of the bench the rest!

JoeR

Masterpiece
USDA Zone
8a
As someone who has only seen the word, rather than heard it spoken, I am wondering how to pronounce 'ume'? Ive always read it something like "you-me" or "oooh-me".

Here's the foliage on two of my Toyo Nishiki. The one on the stool is my newest addition. I think the foliage looks pretty good compared to the other one, and it's due to getting more water and being left in a cooler spot. Plus, I put much more sphagnum moss on the top. The other one has ugly burned leaves and dropped most of them. So sad to hear that you'll be selling yours. If I were near, I'd do what I can to help you keep it.
20150824_192047.jpg 20150824_192047 - Version 2.jpg