Toyo Nishiki Quince Clump

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thanks, but I really need to reduce the number of trees in the garden!

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I see this one and a few other trees I recognize are on the auctions page.

Such a nice flowering specimen. I can't wait to get a few quince of my own!

Curious why you let these specific trees go?

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Gotta start somewhere...and these four were threatening to unionize.
Got some big bruisers to sell too...just don't want to ship them.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Gotta start somewhere...and these four were threatening to unionize.
Got some big bruisers to sell too...just don't want to ship them.
I see.

That juniper from Brent you posted, what pot size stock was that from? I believe you have told me it was a 2 or 3 gallon before.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I see you got the BIN price on this one Brian- CONGRATS! I will say I went there to see what you were selling it for... Really like this little clump! It has some age to it and a nice balance. Well, congrats again on getting what you wanted out of it... I am just starting to sell a few, and have been surprised by what people will pay on FB for a decent tree! They don't seem to want pre- Bonsai/ young stuff as much, but the stuff a little further along/ harder to find, they are jumping on it on those sites!

SO MANY POTS though... I just started getting into pots a little more... Bid on two Jim Barrets for super cheap, hope I get 'em!

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thanks @Eric Group . I agree that there is a gap in material somewhere between starter stock and finished trees. Ideally, I would have had 2-3 more years with the material I was growing in the ground, but that's always the case.

One lesson I learned growing out material in the ground is to CHOP LOW, let grow. The ugly ducklings in the ground have the most interest in pots. If I could do it all again, I'd walk through and chop everything down to 2". Maybe when we buy some land, I'll start another crop.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks @Eric Group . I agree that there is a gap in material somewhere between starter stock and finished trees. Ideally, I would have had 2-3 more years with the material I was growing in the ground, but that's always the case.

One lesson I learned growing out material in the ground is to CHOP LOW, let grow. The ugly ducklings in the ground have the most interest in pots. If I could do it all again, I'd walk through and chop everything down to 2". Maybe when we buy some land, I'll start another crop.
I have a couple trees that will get that low chop treatment this Spring...

Top Bottom