Toyo Nishiki Root Over Rock

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Earlier this year I gathered some roots that sprouted up. I was surprised because I didn't know they could sprout up from roots just about a millimeter to 2mm thick. Anyways I wired some, and here's one of those root cuttings.

20160514_092929.jpg

I was just planning to have some weird twisty cuttings, and this one had some twisty roots already. So why not try my hand at a twisty exposed root quince clump? Not soon after, I found a decent rock. I thought to myself: why not a twisty root over rock clump?

So here it is today. Weeeeks ago they were just spirally twisted branches. Then I sort of manipulated them further like a screwed up spring or slinky toy or for those my generation or older, which most of you probably are :D telephone receiver cords. I got them tangled up. I think it'll look better with time. I might add another root cutting or two to one side and join them with the rest of the clump at top next year.

DSC09684.jpg
DSC09685.jpg
DSC09686 (1).jpg
DSC09686.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice....

But I don't want to see any updates if you leave those roots exposed.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Help me understand:oops: please?

I'd like to see that thrown in a deep box with a lot of soil for them roots to run out in.

I'd plant it as deep as possible.

Maybe just wrap something more up around it now....

But the situation seems to slow....
Like the top will "outgrow" the roots.

I want to see those roots a little beefed and clasping.

This is a wicked TP project.

Sorce

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'd like to see that thrown in a deep box with a lot of soil for them roots to run out in.

I'd plant it as deep as possible.

Maybe just wrap something more up around it now....

But the situation seems to slow....
Like the top will "outgrow" the roots.

I want to see those roots a little beefed and clasping.

This is a wicked TP project.

Sorce
Hmm. Thanks, Sorce! Interesting thought. I'm not sure planting deeper would be the answer I'm looking for in this small Japanese quince.

Of all my quince, this one has the shortest internodes and shortest growth. I wouldn't say it was weak at all, and I think what's growing below the soil (and normall below) and above are in balance. If, the branches thicken, so would the roots.

But if you think planting deeper would get be more roots around the stone, I agree with you. After another year or two, I'll evaluate the roots to see the overall image. Remove the Teflon tape. I may as you said need to bury the roots; even graft some roots.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know these for S.

I just feel it Will grow stronger if buried a little deeper, of just to protect those fine roots...

Looking at it again....
Probly up to the bottom of the tape.

It's only a "seems like", I just want to see this through well.

It is a very cool project!

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I don't know these for S.

I just feel it Will grow stronger if buried a little deeper, of just to protect those fine roots...

Looking at it again....
Probly up to the bottom of the tape.

It's only a "seems like", I just want to see this through well.

It is a very cool project!

Sorce
Tough to tell by the pics, but maybe at least consider packing some chopped sphagum as top dressing...

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Those roots will never clasp the rock naturally if you don't bury in ground or big pot,ground being the fastest method,at least three years

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
You guys have been right lots of times. :DI'll consider moving to a larger pot. Won't bury but would likely use some mesh and soil and cover at least the lower portion of roots.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you don't you will regret not doing this years down the road,when you realize you wasted years with hardly any gains.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You guys have been right lots of times.

I appreciate folks coming to help out.
Since I don't know quince and the only Nishiki I know will give you all her Toyo for $20.

No offense to QO and DM, but I just realized I only really heed advice from folks who use the trees name....(think Leo Post)....
And say things like...
"Toyo Nishiki Will develop better roots if left in the ground".
Or..
"I am unfamiliar with Toyo, but with Quince in general,......"

Something about owning the advice by stating the name of the tree, I think once people really love and know a type of tree...
It becomes JBP, or European Beech, or anything more than it.

Merry Goofy Xmas Observations....
Quiet as they may be!

Sorce

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
You guys really stir the worry wart in me. LoL. Anyways, I figured there's no worry in revealing my roots. And my secret--I have thumbs!
20161225_095052-1.jpg

Gripping pretty well don't you think?
20161225_094912-1.jpg

This one root seems dominant. It's the thickest.
20161225_094932-1.jpg

After these shots, I added a root cutting and planted an inch deeper into a slightly larger pot. No picture of that yet.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Checked the quince and the root cutting I added had died. This time I added two. It's been a week, and they're still alive. This piece is getting active, leaves popping.

2017-02-06 08.46.33.jpg

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I removed some leaves so light could hit the quince's interior. Wired and already unwired a few branches.

I had a thought this morning. With all the madness with touching up the house, packing boxes for a move, and more, this quince could use some rest from wiring this year. Just going to let it grow strong shoots, thicken, and grow more roots.
18175773_10213262156288101_1180430579_o.jpg

Top Bottom