Toyo Nishiki Root Over Rock

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Not that I, er... particularly fancy this kind of tretment, but if it's your cup of tea, but there's a guy that "invented" the "style Burton", a reference to the fantastic world of Tim Burton's films.

He was even awarded a prize at maybe the best bonsai exhibit in France, Saulieu. To speak the truth, I don't like it at all when it's done on deciduous like maple, a bit like a lot of dead wood on maples, but many like it. So if you're interested, here are some pics that may be a source of inspiration :

Last edited:

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Not that I, er... particularly fancy this kind of tretment, but if it's your cup of tea, but there's a guy that "invented" the "style Burton", a reference to the fantastic world of Tim Burton's films.

He was even awarded a prize at maybe the best bonsai exhibit in France, Saulieu. To speak the truth, I don't like it at all when it's done on deciduous like maple, a bit like a lot of dead wood on maples, but many like it. So if you're interested, here are some pics that may be a source of inspiration :

I like lots of different styles, and sometimes I have to search for answers on how use a material. It's not always ideal, but I try to make it work. This is still its early stage. It will continue to change, hopefully for the better. I do like some gnarliness, but I always like to end in a calm feeling.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I like lots of different styles, and sometimes I have to search for answers on how use a material. It's not always ideal, but I try to make it work. This is still its early stage. It will continue to change, hopefully for the better. I do like some gnarliness, but I always like to end in a calm feeling.
After years of trying otherwise, I have come to the opinion that wild and crazy can always be edited back to calm, but straight and narrow remains straight and narrow, especially with toyo nishiki.

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
Love this tree!

I have a regular nursery chaenomeles superba that I’ve styled into a semi cascade but need to layer off of the straight lower trunk, so I’ll have the roots and initial trunk stub left over. The rootball is sending up suckers by the day so I’m hoping by the time it comes to do the layer I’ll have some cool roots and initial sucker branches to work with.

You’ve inspired me to try an exposed root of some sort, let’s hope the roots are suitable.

Top Bottom