Toyo Nishiki Root Over Rock

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
A little neglected. Healthy, but the growth not controlled. Left to itself some branches really took off growing strong, while weaker ones did not. The shading from the stronger ones didn't help. So I may have lost a couple finer smaller branches. I like the variation of large and small branches, but I can hope what's alive will regain vigour.
20170803_192153-1.jpg

Removed the strong thick branches like one circled.
2017-08-03 22.00.45.jpg

The branch traced is a root cutting that I threaded through under the main root cluster in hopes it'd bond one day. I grew significantly; it was cut back hard atop.
2017-08-03 22.02.19.jpg
A peak between the leaves.
20170803_192229-1.jpg

Thinned back some leaves of branches cut back hard and somewhat weaker branches. I also have weak branches with 1 or no leaves; got to get light to them. Some may not make it, and some may be dead already.

So this is how it is now. Back to the same sunny spot most of the day. Hope I get buds on the finer growth again. May be ready for a pot this fall or next spring. What do you think?
20170803_194115-1.jpg

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That is a gnarly one! And good to see it doing good. Next step(s) ? Perhaps fall and spring chops for ramification? Honest not certain how they ramify there.

Grimmy

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
That is a gnarly one! And good to see it doing good. Next step(s) ? Perhaps fall and spring chops for ramification? Honest not certain how they ramify there.

Grimmy
I'll wait for next spring to do anymore pruning. I didn't want to do too many updates until I get some real signs of life as in more leaves. With some sunlight and some water spray, I recently can see some green in the bark without scratching it. Hopefully, they all make it and get going from the hard cuts and removal of the big branches. I'm curious how the roots look below the soil line. I'm anticipating the possible need for grafting on and embedding some roots that are gnarly to compliment the branches.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hopefully, they all make it and get going from the hard cuts and removal of the big branches. I'm curious how the roots look below the soil line. I'm anticipating the possible need for grafting on and embedding some roots that are gnarly to compliment the branches.

Seems to me an option but in my mind time is better. Perhaps in the Spring lift it 1/2 - 1" and let it grow to develop large roots? When I work roots I do that and remove the fine one's that are exposed and the heavier roots plump up and create more under the new soil line. For ROR (could be just me) I like to see a few heavy roots only as if it is struggling to hold on...

Grimmy

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So this is how it is now. Back to the same sunny spot most of the day. Hope I get buds on the finer growth again. May be ready for a pot this fall or next spring.

Thank you for sharing your progress. I have a toyo nishiki that I have only had for one year - and it continues to challenge me. Straight running growth from only the tips of the branches, limited back budding, just a pain in the butt to style. I am waiting until the spring and going to prune it back hard to within a few inches of the nebari - and wire every single branch the moment they are 2" long.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Good news! Seven days later, it looks like all the tiny weaker branches are not lost. I can see buds beginning to leaf out on all of them. I'll take some pictures when they leaf out more. I don't think they'll show well with the phone camera. I love the smaller branches as their internodes are super short, and I put a lot of twists and turns in them from the start.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Full of leaves and still growing. I got to put in more effort to keep from losing the finer branches this time.

20170815_165048.jpg
20170815_165140.jpg
20170815_165157.jpg

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Before and after
20170819_105046-1.jpg 20170819_110537-1.jpg

Thinned out for light to reach inside and to slow down the strong branches. Even weaker branches needed some thinning if the blocked out other weak ones further inside. I left the weak interior branches leaves alone.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Looks like the internodes are a lot shorter now too :)

Grimmy
We'll see. All those short internodes are from before I potted into this larger pot. Leaves were smaller too. When I cut back hard this year on the strong growth, I removed some of them completely.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
We'll see. All those short internodes are from before I potted into this larger pot. Leaves were smaller too. When I cut back hard this year on the strong growth, I removed some of them completely.

Mine looks so odd with all the tight foliage - more like a contorted shrub :oops: I did some plucking yesterday to see what is going on with all the new smaller branches and it is going to look even more strange next year after I cut the new branches back some from this year and let it hopefully grow more again. Damn thing is so thick I also found a low branch to be a foot long root sucker which I will cut away after leaf drop and plant.
I am going to apply what I do to two contorted and a couple of Chinese cuttings this Fall and see what they do too. According to my older crappy notes I am pretty certain they will react the same - time will tell.

Grimmy

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Japanese Quince has been one of my most satisfying species to work with. It's hard to believe that it's not been even two years since this was started. I'd thought it's been longer.

After cutting back hard or completely the strong branches/suckers, some branches grew back. I removed some and shortened some. Then grew back my preferred branches with shorter internodes. Some more suckers appeared. Aside from that, I keep halving leaves and removing some wherever a leaf blocks light from a weak branch. Most of the leaves are halved.

20170902_115042-1.jpg
20170902_115131-1.jpg

Today, I wired some more and added movement.

20170902_104012-1-1.jpg
20170902_114739-1.jpg
20170902_104128-1.jpg

Top Bottom