Toyo Nishiki Root Over Rock

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I like the tree and the pot. Nice crackle glaze. (on the pot:))

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was given a lovely little quince last month. You are inspiring me! Keep up the great work and wonderful post progression.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Very nice, I like all the parts, your tree, the rock and that Celadon glaze Eimei pot is just perfect. Thanks for sharing.

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I ended up using no netting. It's not growing strong enough to need it. It's coming along ok though. A root cutting that's grown strong, but didn't fuse needed some convincing. I drilled and secured it with a screw to the rest of the quince.
View attachment 248581
Wonderful project. I love where you've taken this in such a short amount of time.

Please explain how you took the root cuttings. Were they suckers? How did you cut them? What time of year? What substrate did you put them in? Full sun or shade? Etc.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Root cuttings are from roots I slice off at repots in spring on my prebonsai stock, not suckers. Just slice bottom half and keep moist in a shady or indirect spot. I might put some pine mulch around the roots. Slowly I'd see some sprout shoots. Sorry, I dont have it down to a good technique.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Good stuff! I’m hoping to start some root-over-rock projects next spring. What kind of rock did you use here? It looks like lava rock maybe? Also, what did you use to attach the roots to the rock initially? I think I’ve read grafting tape works.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Good stuff! I’m hoping to start some root-over-rock projects next spring. What kind of rock did you use here? It looks like lava rock maybe? Also, what did you use to attach the roots to the rock initially? I think I’ve read grafting tape works.
Hi. I'm not sure what rock. It appears similar to lava rock, but I don't think it is. It's grayish and seems denser than lava rock. I think it looks better and more appropriate for bonsai. I collect them down south east Texas where they use it to pave roads ol' private dirt roads. Wouldn't it be funny if these were just chunks of repurposed concrete?😆

Also, I have used different things to tie the roots to rock. I've used teflon tape and the green stretchy plastic ties commercial growers use, probably sold on Amazon.
20190730_140750.jpg
20190730_140725.jpg

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I like to look back to see where this tree started from. The multi trunk at bottom was where it started, the roots! The right side is how the root over rock was 4 years ago; no rock 😄. The top, the current tree. I didn't originally plan to do root cuttings; it was actually just roots I cut and tossed aside. They grew, and I used them. I originally thought I'd do exposed root, but I found a rock I liked. They fit, so I put them together. I just kept working at it.

So far no flower, and I believe it's because it never got to grow strong. The internodes are short and leaves tiny like chojubai most of the time because of constant wiring and bending. I now let it grow strong more often, hoping for flower.

IMG_20191208_144939_886.jpg

Top Bottom