Toyo Nishiki Survivor

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Can't wait to see it in full bloom!

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
What do you do to get as many flowers as you normally would like??
There are different things that could be done. One is allow branches to grow strong and freely. Other is to graft older wood. This year I didnt use older wood; I was going for smaller scion. I added three more grafts, maybe this year I shouldn't mess with this quince much more. Added three more grafts and leave it alone.

My disclaimer is my experience is still little. These are my educated guesses.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I know it's pointy, but eventually I'll have the tree wider and apex rounded. Note: top was thread grafted with a rooted cutting. I also grafted 3 more reds to one side three days ago. It's nice to just put branches where I want sometimes by grafting. This antique Chinese pot grows on me all the time; makes me want more of them.
IMG_20190308_121151_867.jpg

Last edited:

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Easy for this to happen to flowering quince in summer, and much easier in bonsai pot in Texas. Don't water enough or forget, and leaves get like this. Yesterday the leaves were droopy and less brown, but the "blanched" look was there. Those cooked portions will turn brown.
20190614_080824.jpg20190614_080839.jpg

Here's another quince that had this problem sooner. I put this in here for others to see. You get a little anxiety but don't worry too much if this happens to your quince. What you don't want to find the problem too late. Both of these examples were watered well the same day I discovered they didn't get enough water.
20190614_080812.jpg

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My quince are literally not growing this year except for a contorted white that I have. Everything else grew in spring, a little then stopped.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I know it's pointy, but eventually I'll have the tree wider and apex rounded. Note: top was thread grafted with a rooted cutting. I also grafted 3 more reds to one side three days ago. It's nice to just put branches where I want sometimes by grafting. This antique Chinese pot grows on me all the time; makes me want more of them.
View attachment 230896
WOW WOW WOW WOW WOOOOOW! I missed this one. 🥰

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I think I'll add more reds next fall.

A little late, the tree is largely designed. Something I read a long time ago, I believe it was talking about azalea but would apply to 'Toyo Nishiki'. When you have multiple color flowers. If you can select for flower color, plan the dark color, in this case red, to be on the branches where there would be shadows. Plan the lay out of white and red to look like a pattern of shadows. In the quince's case, you might try to make at least the highest part of your apex, white flowers.

The other recommendation I read somewhere was to keep the darkest color in check, so that when the tree is in full bloom, the dark color is no more than a third of the total flowers.

But this is all in my "vague but true" portion of my memory. I do not recall the original reference. And this type of subtlety of display is almost never even noticed in North America. We are just happy getting more than one possible color to show.

I really like this tree as it has matured over the years.

So with this in mind, maybe graft more white & pink, rather than red. But that is entirely up to you. I like flowers, no matter the color, no matter the location of the flower.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
A little late, the tree is largely designed. Something I read a long time ago, I believe it was talking about azalea but would apply to 'Toyo Nishiki'. When you have multiple color flowers. If you can select for flower color, plan the dark color, in this case red, to be on the branches where there would be shadows. Plan the lay out of white and red to look like a pattern of shadows. In the quince's case, you might try to make at least the highest part of your apex, white flowers.

The other recommendation I read somewhere was to keep the darkest color in check, so that when the tree is in full bloom, the dark color is no more than a third of the total flowers.

But this is all in my "vague but true" portion of my memory. I do not recall the original reference. And this type of subtlety of display is almost never even noticed in North America. We are just happy getting more than one possible color to show.

I really like this tree as it has matured over the years.

So with this in mind, maybe graft more white & pink, rather than red. But that is entirely up to you. I like flowers, no matter the color, no matter the location of the flower.
Very good insight! I like it; the part about red being in the shadows. Leo, the pinks and whites are all over. It is red that is very few. The apex is pure red, but I have grafted some branches that will produce white and pink on there. More will be added in future. As for more reds, I think I can still add them to the interior, maybe when I do s hard cut.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Made some major cuts last night on this long time flowering quince, because I think I think it needed redirection. I'm pleased. Back 5 years, I wouldn't have had the courage or tools to make it a clean cut, so I understand how newbies fear the big cuts.
20200227_183828.jpg20200227_183832.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom