Toyo Nishiki Survivor

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
thank you for this. Will be trying this either soon or in the spring.

Is fall your favorite time to graft? How later have you done the grafting in the fall?

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
thank you for this. Will be trying this either soon or in the spring.

Is fall your favorite time to graft? How later have you done the grafting in the fall?
You could graft in the winter if you have a nice humid greenhouse. So far, I like fall and late summer grafting for flowering quince. I've only started grafting so my opinion shouldn't carry too much weight. This year, since I grafted early, I think I'll leave my quince outside in the cold as I normally would. If it gets cold to a point below freezing that makes me nervous, I'll bring it inside an area that will give it more protection. I am trying out different things with hope to find a good rhythm.

Update: it's easier to count the grafts without leaves; only 2. So I have 12 of 14 grafts with leaves or sprouts right now. Two of those are sprouting, and two with extensions 8 to 12 inches. Most only have leaves.

20180921_090343.jpg

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Those of you who've never crushed your own lava rock, it is SO therapeutic to smash it with a sledge hammer. Just don't go overboard.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Cleaned up stuff from some old successful grafts. That means I removed the tape and film involved. I left weaker grafts alone. They could probably be dealt with、but I choose to let the be.
20190113_141459.jpg

It appears keloids happen when grafts take and have strong rapid growing shoots. I will try to clean that up by cutting them back another day.
20190113_145053.jpg

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'm happy to see flower buds, but they're not as abundant as I'd like and their sizes are so different, not consistent. Dont think I'll have a good show of flowers.

Waiting with anticipation, I check out my other quinces: Toyonishiki with pinks, reds, Improved Toyonishiki, and Utamaro. I keep coming back to Utamaro. I like it's red more. Its leaf shape and flower petals has some relatively subtle differences. I might just graft them on and not tell anyone I've done the deed. ?

First picture shows pink on white, pink, and an Improved Toyonishiki from Brent.
IMG_20190217_094333_517.jpg

Second, my own Toyonishiki flowers contrasted by regular red Toyonishiki flowers.
20190217_095724.jpg

Third is Utamaro on left and Toyonishiki on right. Sorry not great picture as its wet, a little chilly, and I've got work to do. ?
20190217_095602.jpg

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm happy to see flower buds, but they're not as abundant as I'd like and their sizes are so different, not consistent. Dont think I'll have a good show of flowers.

Waiting with anticipation, I check out my other quinces: Toyonishiki with pinks, reds, Improved Toyonishiki, and Utamaro. I keep coming back to Utamaro. I like it's red more. Its leaf shape and flower petals has some relatively subtle differences. I might just graft them on and not tell anyone I've done the deed. ?

First picture shows pink on white, pink, and an Improved Toyonishiki from Brent.
View attachment 227728

Second, my own Toyonishiki flowers contrasted by regular red Toyonishiki flowers.
View attachment 227729

Third is Utamaro on left and Toyonishiki on right. Sorry not great picture as its wet, a little chilly, and I've got work to do. ?
View attachment 227730
Beautiful, have you noticed any reversion of colour after grafting? With the darker blooms becoming dominant on the plant.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Flower bud shots and observations.
Image 1 Improved Toyonishiki buds
Images 2-4 Toyonishiki buds from the bonsai of this thread, but 4 is Improved Toyonishiki thread grafted a while back to the apex..
Images 1, 2, and 4 the buds look alike, but I'm certain 1 and 4 will be red.
I've seen buds at this stage look like 1, 2, and 4, but they turn out pink or white with pink, not just tinged edges.
20190217_123143.jpg

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
So much to learn. I've had thoughts and reached out to a bonsai bro about my observation of flowering quinces. Why do mine flower and grow leaves at the same time, while all the other Toyonishiki I have that are not trained for bonsai bloom with hardly any leaves. The conclusion made was that it had to do with repotting.

Over these next few years, I'll try to postpone repotting for as long as I can. I'm also going to try not fussing with most of the branches. All but one of my final cuts were made today. I see no more flower buds forming, and if they would, it's too late.
20190219_124951.jpg
IMG_20190219_123618_657.jpg
IMG_20190219_123618_659.jpg

Here's the last branch I'll prune back. It's gotten too thick, but it's still on because of its flower buds.
20190219_124739.jpg

Top Bottom