TP Hackberry #4

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Not an ideal time for thread grafting, but I took safety precautions and still lost the foliage 😅. It was very tender. No worries.

This is actually a rethread. I wanted to change the direction of the branch exiting. Probably have to wait a couple of years to take.
20190715_075956.jpg

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Maybe carving the wound would be a better (quicker) option with this species ?
Perhaps, but I think a convincing large natural looking wound might be challenging. Even then I'm guessing I'd have to still help the wound mature to look natural. Smaller wounds, I'm more comfortable with, but I'd like to leave only subtle evidence of a trunk chop.

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
May have to try to find one of these. I've seen some with incredible ramification. It's going to be worth the effort. Wonder if Zack sells these.
Way to keep the thread going!

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
@Johnnyd He does sell them. If you're going to collect, I'd look for features on the lower part of the trunk. Most of your branching likely will be removed if you collect a tree like mine. A lot of the ones I collected were buried deep in mud or clay. The widest part of the base was hidden below. I also had to remove large roots which is why you see some large wounds about 2 or 3 inches above where the bonsai surface roots are. My surface roots are buried a couple inches now to continue development.

Top Bottom