TP Shantung

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Got a maple that I hadn't known what to do. Decided on cascade and went with it for a while. Pretty challenging. Still not sure if I'll continue with this direction.

Here is how it looks today after defoliation days ago. I left the leaves on the weak low branches.

20160706_150743-1.jpg
20160706_150756-1.jpg
20160706_150953-1.jpg
20160706_150833.jpg

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The cascade is cool. :cool:
This little tree really tugs at me. But I like it in this orientation. TPshantung.jpg
Then pull the low-left branch forward a bit while making it a bit shorter. Then it is interesting to ponder how to finish the image. Fascinating twisting on almost exposed roots ....

... you must have gone through this already. Thanks :)

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
The cascade is cool. :cool:
This little tree really tugs at me. But I like it in this orientation. View attachment 110243
Then pull the low-left branch forward a bit while making it a bit shorter. Then it is interesting to ponder how to finish the image. Fascinating twisting on almost exposed roots ....

... you must have gone through this already. Thanks :)
Thanks, 0so. I originally grew this in the large pot thinking I might make an exposed root. Then one day I had a few long branches, and thought I'd try cascade. I found the sillouhette pleasing and fitting for the trunk at the time.

I'm keeping options open. I'm finding cascade challenging, but fun. We'll see with time where this goes.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think this is great use of the material.
It wouldn't really stand right any other way.

Sick trunk!

Sorce

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Got a maple that I hadn't known what to do. Decided on cascade and went with it for a while. Pretty challenging. Still not sure if I'll continue with this direction.

Here is how it looks today after defoliation days ago. I left the leaves on the weak low branches.

View attachment 110237
View attachment 110238
View attachment 110239
View attachment 110240

Really cool looking Maple, looks perfect for the style you are going for, to my eye any way.

How comes your wiring is so loose, was there a reason for that?

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
@ConorDash
Good catch. Wire is loose because I'm still fairly new to bonsai. I was likely lazy. Sometimes fall back on bad habits. Other times, I might wire loosely is because growth may be young and fragile.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@ConorDash
Good catch. Wire is loose because I'm still fairly new to bonsai. I was likely lazy. Sometimes fall back on bad habits. Other times, I might wire loosely is because growth may be young and fragile.

I thought loose because of being young and fragile, but then when looking I thought, thats very loose lol.
Im just glad it was a constructive comment and not some strategy I didn't know about! Im very new to bonsai :).

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I like your Shantung maple. It looks like you are training a 2 line cascade, personally I would try to make the upper (apex) line taller and more prominent.

Very original and cool trunk.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I like your Shantung maple. It looks like you are training a 2 line cascade, personally I would try to make the upper (apex) line taller and more prominent.

Very original and cool trunk.
Thanks, Augustine. How much taller might you like the top to be? The top will be taller as I develop it more. During this stage, I've been focusing on balancing the growth.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
After tilting it AND defoliating the leaves at the top, it's started to grow some at the low branch.
20160711_152044-1-1.jpg

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Very nice progress Thumbless! Not sure if you need the bottom half?
Thanks, M5. Love your comments. I kind of don't really know what I'm doing:D. It's there for me to see possibilities, and I thought it'd help as sacrifice growth to thicken branches.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks, M5. Love your comments. I kind of don't really know what I'm doing:D. It's there for me to see possibilities, and I thought it'd help as sacrifice growth to thicken branches.

Of course! Keep your options open. Always time to cut! :)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is a nice lil canopy at the top....

But I fully think the canopy should be as odd as the base....Pretty...but odd.

Sorce

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Repotted late winter. Cut back a lot then that I didn't like, and it regrew branches.
20170321_200956-1.jpg

I wired a little. Mostly will get cut back again. Nodes are too far apart.
20170321_203014-1.jpg

Other side
20170321_203113-1.jpg

Top Bottom