TP Shantung

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
For red and orange, you may need to graft a cultivar
Ahh ok, I for some reason assumed the reds and purples were standard; I could definitely settle for oranges though. I was just hoping for a little variation, over half of my trees turn yellow...

Yours looks really nice, I really like the splotchy reds and love the orange! I always appreciate a good orange color when I see them, I have some random variety of j.m. that usually gets a decent orange.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Ahh ok, I for some reason assumed the reds and purples were standard; I could definitely settle for oranges though. I was just hoping for a little variation, over half of my trees turn yellow...

Yours looks really nice, I really like the splotchy reds and love the orange! I always appreciate a good orange color when I see them, I have some random variety of j.m. that usually gets a decent orange.
I bought Red Dragon for red, but I love it's orange color!

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
@AlainK how'd your Shantung maple do after defoliation? I couldn't find your thread.

Well, I gave away some, the others are leafless now, but they're still very young and I don't take many photos of seedlings. I have some time tonight, I may go outside and bring them in the garage and take some photos later. But nothing spectacular so far...

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Well, I gave away some, the others are leafless now, but they're still very young and I don't take many photos of seedlings. I have some time tonight, I may go outside and bring them in the garage and take some photos later. But nothing spectacular so far...
No problem. Just wondered how yours did after defoliation. I have made it an annual thing to do as long as my tree grows well.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
4 of the 5 I kept :

acer-trunc-sem_191207a.jpg

I didn't mean to work on them before next spring, but I removed a branch on the first one on the right. Still a long time before it gets 5 or 6 times fatter but not much taller.

acer-trunc-sem_191207b.jpg acer-trunc-sem_191207c.jpg

acer-trunc-sem_191207d.jpg

The 5th one is trained as a "ROR", or "sekijoju" :

acer-trunc-sem_01_191207a.jpg

No photos of the autumn colours, but they're not spectacular, contrary to the spring colours.

A photo taken in July, after defoliation :

acer-trunc-SWK2_190710a.jpg

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Might I suggest penjing styles? This tree looks like it is begging for a Chinese interpretation

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What are the key points of this?
Penjing tend to have wilder looking trees. While the trees may be very refined they look 'rugged'. Features often include unusual roots and trunks in deciduous trees would would be seen as unsightly in Japan and wouldn't ever be seen in a show.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Penjing tend to have wilder looking trees. While the trees may be very refined they look 'rugged'. Features often include unusual roots and trunks in deciduous trees would would be seen as unsightly in Japan and wouldn't ever be seen in a show.
By "wilder", I suspect you mean something akin to "arty", maybe, as opposed to "naturalistic".I tend to think of Lingnan style = penjing. My curiosity concerns, with any given tree, what would I do to make it look like a 'penjing' versus 'bonsai'?

The key feature that catches my eye is that branches move/ramify at wide (near perpendicular) angles. The "Japanese" style that I/we tend toward has more acute angles. Another feature seems to be canopies and even individual pads tend to be conical with very large cone angles (120 degree-ish). IOW, isoceles (versus scalene) triangles.

Am I barking up the wrong tree?

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
By "wilder", I suspect you mean something akin to "arty", maybe, as opposed to "naturalistic".I tend to think of Lingnan style = penjing. My curiosity concerns, with any given tree, what would I do to make it look like a 'penjing' versus 'bonsai'?

The key feature that catches my eye is that branches move/ramify at wide (near perpendicular) angles. The "Japanese" style that I/we tend toward has more acute angles. Another feature seems to be canopies and even individual pads tend to be conical with very large cone angles (120 degree-ish). IOW, isoceles (versus scalene) triangles.

Am I barking up the wrong tree?
You are correct in part. Some trees do look very naturalistic but those forms may seem artsy as they are less commonly seen in Europe or other countries due to the big difference in landscape. Lingnan is just one particular (and very ancient) branch of penjing. The main difference is that the Chinese created the basic system which was changed in Korea then the Japanese took this and changed it further.
It's hard to explain but I think your explanation of angles is quite correct. This is also a cultural influence

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Yours is looking good !

I have a picture of some that I let grow for the moment, thanks for reminding me, I must remove the wires.

No picture yet of the one planted in a cardboard tube, I must go outside but it's getting cold.

acer-trunc-sem_200513a.jpg

signed: brainlessneanderth 😄 (aka AK)

Top Bottom