TP Shantung

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ditto @MACH5. Yeah, what happened to the cascade direction? It looked to be progressing nicely then you cut the cascading branch back. Are you going a different direction with it?

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Ditto @MACH5. Yeah, what happened to the cascade direction? It looked to be progressing nicely then you cut the cascading branch back. Are you going a different direction with it?

I'm like the wind, Vin! Always changing directions. Just kiddin'. Still it will be a cascade of some sort. It just got a cut back, but this time I'll let branches thicken more as Sergio recommended. The lower branch should reach the same length as it did last year. Most of everything will need to be cut back at some point as the nodes are further apart than they should be.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Lanky right now. I defoliated the tree when it had some fungus. Looking healthy now. Spraying some daconil as fungicide.
2017-08-05 13.52.30.jpg

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Looking rough this time of year. I think it'll pull through. I moved it out of full sun and put it under some shade cloth today. It already had a few buds swelling where leaves turned brown and had dropped.
20180721_183547.jpg

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Completely defoliated of the spring foliage that turned brown. New leaves arriving. I did some pruning on nonessential branches for my own observation. I noticed the second flush last year was short, and that occurred in maybe early fall.
20180803_084326.jpg20180803_083245.jpg

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Very nice.

Isn't it time to give it a "bonsai pot"?....

I've got a couple of "shantung maples", 2-3 yrs-old, and I find your post quite ineresting. Thanks for posting.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Very nice.

Isn't it time to give it a "bonsai pot"?....

I've got a couple of "shantung maples", 2-3 yrs-old, and I find your post quite ineresting. Thanks for posting.
Bonsai pot! Never! ? I'm slow to get my trees into bonsai pots. May in the next 5 years it'll happen. Thanks!

Top Bottom